Where to collect specimens in Western Cape

Reaction score
I am planning to make a collect day this week-end to re-stock my cold water rock pool tank with fish (not klippies or gobies) . I normally go to Kleinmond but thats quiet far to go. Does anyone know of good rock pools closer to Cape Town that You've seen fish in, that is also not a marine reserve. I use fishing nets so am looking to go at low tide for the small rock pools.

Gemma - I have seen some fish at the LARGE pool nearly in front of the "On The Rocks" restaurant in Bloubergstrand. I am not sure about it being a MPA though....
Hope you know which rock pool I am talking about.

ALSO - dunno EXACTLY what types of fish you will find in there....

blouberg is not a marine protected area, just a rock lobster protected area.
Not sure if you will get anything more exciting than mullet at blouberg (or the west coast). Not sure how legal it is, but the trek netters at fishhoek sometimes pull up aqurium sized fish - normally juvenile stumpnose, kob etc. But have on occassion seen them pull in tiny sharks, puffers, catfish etc. And considering its bycatch, they dont mind if you take them.
PLease keep me informed of any interesting fish/places, im filling my tank today, so will also be looking for fish in the coming months.

Gemma, would you mind taking a few snaps on the area you go to, wouldn't mind seeing what coasts you have:)

looking for sole again wee?

I just love looking at pics of coastal areas, always loved the sea, spent many years on boats (hobby) scuba dived and seen some of the most breath taking scenery ever, keeps me happy, and out of trouble (for a change):whistling:

459b. Most of what i've collected is from Klienmond and Gansbaai, only because I don't really know where else to go.

i guess you could try places like kooel bay, rooi els, pringle bay or hangklip. A little closer than kleinmond, but ive never really looked for fish there. i have seen a couple fish in gordons bay harbour so they must be in the rock pools around that area.

I tried Gordon's Bay - Firstly - NOT much rock pools (perhaps more out Strand's beaches).... (There's a LOT of hermit crabs there in the shallows, though - especially when the water's warm (20-22 degrees celsius ;-)

Another possible area to try (BUT - I think it is MPA) would perhaps be Simonstown area.... Many rock pools there with fish...

Alternatively, Gemma - I have seen MANY fish (no idea of type) in the Langebaan Lagoon....

the coast between muizenberg and cape point is scattered with MPA's, so if you do go to that area just make sure you know you where they are.

I tried Gordon's Bay - Firstly - NOT much rock pools
i should have been a bit clearer, i meant the coast just south of gordons bay. Not sure how brave you are, but park at one of the lookouts just past gordons bay then walk directly down to the sea. Might be a bit dangerous, and not sure of the fish, but could be worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom