Where to collect specimens in Western Cape

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Gemma, 22 Apr 2008.

1. Gemma

Gemma

I am planning to make a collect day this week-end to re-stock my cold water rock pool tank with fish (not klippies or gobies) . I normally go to Kleinmond but thats quiet far to go. Does anyone know of good rock pools closer to Cape Town that You've seen fish in, that is also not a marine reserve. I use fishing nets so am looking to go at low tide for the small rock pools.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Gemma - I have seen some fish at the LARGE pool nearly in front of the "On The Rocks" restaurant in Bloubergstrand. I am not sure about it being a MPA though....
    Hope you know which rock pool I am talking about.

ALSO - dunno EXACTLY what types of fish you will find in there....

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

blouberg is not a marine protected area, just a rock lobster protected area.
    Not sure if you will get anything more exciting than mullet at blouberg (or the west coast). Not sure how legal it is, but the trek netters at fishhoek sometimes pull up aqurium sized fish - normally juvenile stumpnose, kob etc. But have on occassion seen them pull in tiny sharks, puffers, catfish etc. And considering its bycatch, they dont mind if you take them.
    PLease keep me informed of any interesting fish/places, im filling my tank today, so will also be looking for fish in the coming months.

5. 459b

Gemma - where do you collect your inverts?

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Gemma, would you mind taking a few snaps on the area you go to, wouldn't mind seeing what coasts you have:)

7. crispin

crispin

looking for sole again wee?

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I just love looking at pics of coastal areas, always loved the sea, spent many years on boats (hobby) scuba dived and seen some of the most breath taking scenery ever, keeps me happy, and out of trouble (for a change):whistling:

9. Gemma

Gemma Thread Starter

459b. Most of what i've collected is from Klienmond and Gansbaai, only because I don't really know where else to go.

10. 459b

i guess you could try places like kooel bay, rooi els, pringle bay or hangklip. A little closer than kleinmond, but ive never really looked for fish there. i have seen a couple fish in gordons bay harbour so they must be in the rock pools around that area.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I tried Gordon's Bay - Firstly - NOT much rock pools (perhaps more out Strand's beaches).... (There's a LOT of hermit crabs there in the shallows, though - especially when the water's warm (20-22 degrees celsius ;-)

Another possible area to try (BUT - I think it is MPA) would perhaps be Simonstown area.... Many rock pools there with fish...

Alternatively, Gemma - I have seen MANY fish (no idea of type) in the Langebaan Lagoon....

12. 459b

the coast between muizenberg and cape point is scattered with MPA's, so if you do go to that area just make sure you know you where they are.

i should have been a bit clearer, i meant the coast just south of gordons bay. Not sure how brave you are, but park at one of the lookouts just past gordons bay then walk directly down to the sea. Might be a bit dangerous, and not sure of the fish, but could be worth a look.

13. 459b

so you go collecting??
    if so, where did you go and what did you find?

14. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Yo!

Hows your coldwater rockpool tank? i want to set one up on my 2.5M tank....

Recent Posts