Where to collect/snorkel on KZN southcoast?

Reaction score
Hi Guys going to the southcoast next month and I want to know where would be nice spots to snorkel and collect as well as what kind of specimens to expect? Also which is safer to snorkel at and what to look out for as I'm a noob at snorkeling(Been practicing in the pool!:blushing:). The biggest mass of water near being the modder river, the water is way too murky and I'm scared of the mythical waterslang... supposedly a creature with a horse's head, a fish tail and a snake's body- now imagine that in a bathwater setup! :whistling::lol:

read the thread about collecting fish from SA waters, its some where here, will look for it, also never snorkel alone, or atleast have someone on shore who can see you, then dont snorkel with a chicken tied to your foot, attracts the predators :)

Margate, Port Shepstone, Park Rynie, Rocky bay..... There are some awsome spots out there, these are just a few.

Here we got sharks, strong water currents and sharp rocks - not too mention the venomous things that can bite and sting :p

margate is close to aliwal showl, which is one of my fav dive spots, becareful that area is notorious for tiger sharks, i have the pics some to prove it....

look for tidal pools etc as well

Thanks guys! Will be staying at Uvongo, guess the best option is to ask the locals about the water conditions? What kind of corals and fish could I expect?

read the thread about collecting fish from SA waters, its some where here, will look for it, also never snorkel alone, or atleast have someone on shore who can see you, then dont snorkel with a chicken tied to your foot, attracts the predators :)

How about a gutted turkey around the neck?

also please refrain from collecting Carcharodon carcharias, great white shark, the food bills are enormous :)

turkey is good, the other white meat :)

i have a place in uvhongo, there are some nice places near the main beech, but i think all has been moved due to the floods there.

if you go to margate main beech, about 2km away, watch out if u snorkel near the rock pools where they fish, plenty of zambezi's there, also to be safe, check with life gaurds.

also please refrain from collecting Carcharodon carcharias, great white shark, the food bills are enormous :)

:lol::lol: or maybe become PART of the food bill...

Back
Top Bottom