Where to buy a Tank in JHB

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Sentari, 15 May 2009.

1. Sentari

Sentari

Hi all

I am looking at purchasing a new tank in Johannesburg. i would just like to find out where the best stockists are and +- how much am i looking at paying for one? I am fairly new to this. My dad and i had a Marine tank years ago and didnt really have the correct setup. eg. we didnt use a sump and all the fancy things. We purely used a biological filter with it.

Also i would like a decent size tank. Any recommendations are welcome.

At a later stage when i have a little more cash i would also like to get the following

Sump
    Skimmer
    Live Rock
    Sand - Ive been told that reggies play sand is the best
    Pumps
    etc.

Any advise would be appreciated. Especially on how to kit up a sump and what to use for a DSB.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

You can try Sterlig in the West Rand, the pet store in Hillfox or Kenilworth Aqaurium Center in the South.

All these stores have a variaty of tanks.

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

any one of our great sponsors will be able to hook you up with a tank to your specifictions ..... they will also be able to give you proper marine setup advice !!

5. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Thanks i am aware of those shops and i have been there.

6. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Awesome thanks! thats what i'm looking for!

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

The best tank builders at present are Idol marine

Check them out

[​IMG]

8. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Thanks bud!

Will check them out. Do you know if they open on the weekend?

9. gali

gali

I also highly recommend Idol Marine. They are open on a Saturday I think till 4

10. gali

gali

If you jsut starting out, why not buy a second hand tank? Look on the for sale forums. There are excellent deals on second hand tanks as they have very low resale value. You can rather spend some more money on quality skimmer, pumps and stock.

If you have no experience, this is the best way to learn. (eg. I cleaned some algea off my front viewing pane with a pot scourer leaving some pretty nasty scratches. So I might as well have saved a few ZAR and bought a 2nd hand tank). I wish I had done it that way. I have had to replace quite a bit of my initial hardware purchased as well.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A decent tank size, especially starting off with is 500L
    A lot more stable than Nano setups, anything less than 150L and a lot cheapper that setups bigger that 1000L.

Take note that cost of equiptment needed escalate as the size go up. But at 500L you should be at a good balance.

Also check the classifieds sections. Stuff sold by members. I think Dallas got a nice size tank with cabinet and stand available at a good price. That is what I will do. (I do not have space for it, else it would have been mine)

12. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Great thanks guys!

I'm gonna have to get rid of one of my couches anyways so going to do some measurements and then get everything one thing at a time. As Gali and RiaanP said... rather spend quality money than waste it! I have to say i understand from previous endevours. Will keep you posted once i start!

Idol Marines here i come!!! :D

13. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Quick question while i'm here. In my sump what sand should i use?

Does the sump go from Skimmer -> DSB -> pump?

what do you put in the DSB and the pump section cause i have seen various different setups

14. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

Lights - in the bigging just get 2x54w t5 unit with giesemann 15000K tubes if you want to keep corals later just get another 4 tubes.

15. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Thanks Trad!

Your help is much appreciated!!! I will let you know when i get closer to starting and share the pics and info with you!

16. jpg29

jpg29

HI trad

If you're on a tight budget i'd go for:

THE TANk: a STANDARD 4ft around; 1200(L)x450to500(W)x450to500mm(H) and get a hole driled and a wier made for the overflow.
    THE SUMP: A standard smaller tank say 900x300to400x400mm devided into three or four compartments/cells
    THE SKIMMER: Small'ish Reeftech At a 700l/h capacity (a TS1 will be okay) look around for one thats second-hand the bigger the better.
    THE RETURN PUMP: this must have a flow rate of 10x your volume/hr and be able to pump the head (height) required for your tank return
    THE LIVEROCK: at least 15% of the volume of the tank (get fresh stuff)
    ACTIVATED CARBON: get good stuff like ROWE(sp?) change once a month (at least 1/2 a liter/ month)
    FLOW: you will need AT LEAST 20x the volume/hr of you tank get a wave make if you can,DON"T USE STANDARD power heads like the ones' used for udergravel filters.
    HEATERS: get two, for the 4ft mentioned above I'd use 2x200 or 300W just incase one fails....
    LIGHTING: THIS IS IMPORTANT if you want to keep SPS, at least 6x T5 tubes OR 2x metal halide 150W 10000K to 15000K, you could get by with 4x T5 with corals that do not require much light,use good quality globes, make sure they are designed with the correct spectrum for the reef tank, overall colour temp should be around 12000 to 14000K i.e 2x 10000K + 2x Blue/Actinic (22000K+)

this is the basic stuff, you can get all the fancy stuff (if you need it) later and if required.

viper357 likes this.
  17. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Thanks jpg29!

I have cash... thats not the problem. I just want to do it properly. I am an avid diver and marine lover so know what it takes. I have to agree with you when it comes to lighting. At the end of the day i would start out with Fish and live rocks then move to the other stuff. Slow but best way to go!

18. inflames

inflames

Hi and welsome to MASA!

I would get a price on a tank from Fantasy fish world (google it!). They are just of Beyers Naude by Garden World. Was on the site a few days ago. Price on tanks were very reasonable. Think about R700 for a standard 4 foot tank. I am also reasonable new to marine (had my tank running for 9 months). I converted a fresh water tropical to marine and had my tank drilled (for overflow to sump) at VIP northgate (for R100). Also look for 2nd hand stuff (try Junk Mail). Also check classified on MASA daily...the good deals don't even last a few hours. As allot of the Guys will tell you...take it very very very slowly. I have learnt allot from the site and still learn more each day. The rewards of taking it slow are fantastic! Will keep an eye on your progress! All the guys are more than willing to help. Idol Marine will also give you some great advise!

19. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Thanks dude!

I'm in the West so good to know there's nice places close to me. Will check them out!

20. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Guys, just a heads up here, and i am no mod or admin on this site, but sponsors on this site pay good money to support this forum and provide a quality service, enabling us to enjoy the hobby and forum as a whole.

The way i interpret the rules and terms of use is that we should not be punting external suppliers who do not sponsor this forum......... sending them via PM is way of doing it !

Sentari, i would encourage you to post a request in the sponsors forums or pm a request for a quote to any of the sponsors..... or visit them in person......

please understand that i am not saying these other non sponsors are worse than the sponsors, just that in this forum, the sponsors have paid for the right to advertize

Mods i hope i have not overstepped a line here

21. Sentari

Sentari Thread Starter

Understood Neil! Thats why i would rather ask for advise and if anyone had idea's then they could PM me.

I'm just here to look for a place that I KNOW will give me the best service and advise.

Appreciated and understood!

Recent Posts