Where are the regulars

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by RiaanP, 20 Aug 2009.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Last two days I did post 2 questions that I expected would be though provoking. Expected some experienced members to reply. OK I know that taking the post count as a value means nothing. Only these members with post count over 1000 replied. Crispin, Dallasg, Neil H, Sihaya, Riyadhessa and Warr7207

where are the others. On leave?

Just checking.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

Hi Riaan,

Do you relate post count to experience? So a member that joins MASA that has been keeping marines succesfully for 25 years with 5 posts has less value than a member that has only kept marines for 1 year with 1000 posts? I know you say it means nothing...then why start the thread and mention the fact?

4. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

I believe post count does count for something. And thats trust. If there is someone here with 5000 posts and someone with 5 i will trust the advice of the 5000 poster more than the 5. Not saying it will b better advice but the person is better known here and will be ridiculed for giving bad advice. Just my 2 cents.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Nope, I said
    There are guys that good and giving excellent answers with low counts. There are also guys who do a post chase with useless comments... but i do not want to go into that

Looking for the guys who hangs around here a lot, and seems to be on holiday.

6. RiaanP

Maybe the heading should be

"Where are the regulars"

can we change it.

7. inflames

inflames

Hi Steve, I agree with you on that to an extent.. I would also not just take it as fact that the person with 5000 posts would be better than the 5 posts. Does that mean that we only listen to what the Guru's have to say or is this an open forum where people give their opinion and share there personal experiences? I know that the Guru's have allot of knowledge to share with us and this is great! but to start a thread just to get a guru's advise?!?!? Then we might as well not have a forum and all the questions would just go striaght to the guys with the most posts and they can answer and the rest of us can just keep our personal experiences to ourselves! If we only want thoughts from the guru's then I suggest we just send the guru's a PM on the subject and the open threads can be reserved for the rest of us that would like to share our experiences that we have had! Thats my 2 cents!

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok here's my 2c on this - all advice given here needs to be taken with a pinch of salt! I have been to plenty of setups that are thriving but dont have tons of posts to their name! Also i noticed on my tanks thread i get some advice but if I pm the person or have the luxury of speaking to them on the phone it turns out to be another story! Just go with the flow dude take what you get from all of us and if it work stick with it - dont expect everyone to answer every question post (I was like you dude and was even told that MASA will have someone dedicated to answering my every bek and call) If the thread is out there and catches the right members eyes it will get answered!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Done.

10. inflames

inflames

Cool Riaan, I agree that there are guys out there chasing post count...I just think that this particular thread may offend some guys (like myself) that are here to learn from each others experience! The guy's that want to post their thoughts on a thread is their prerogitive. If you want a particular member to give his thoughts on a subject then drop him a PM?

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I am sick in bed mate. So - my time on MASA is erratic at best. Sorry....

12. inflames

inflames

:razz::razz::razz::razz::thumbup:... getting my post count up!!!

13. FransSny

FransSny

been working my butt off .....have to finance the new build

14. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

fishing!!!

15. crispin

crispin

10 days of the norwegian river season left and I am dead keen to make full use of them! but with building a new first floor in a 350year old house, going to school every morn ing to learn Norwegian and running a farm it gets difficult to stay on masa to be at the beck and call of people that want advice:p (tongue in cheek)

but having said that I do wonder whats happened to kanga, mike and alan :)

for what its worth post counts mean next to f all with regards to the qality of a reply that you get and IF you want the opinion of a certain person send them a PM asking for the input in the thread.

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

IMO you will have understand that not everybody is always on. My internet is often playing up as it is now so the only chance i've had for MASA properly (in terms of being able to reply properly) is inbetween lectures using uni internet. There are a lot of posts made through out the day and your post in your thread may get pushed back to say page 2. If you would like to alert people to a post maybe bump your thread or go the PM route as said above

17. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Maybe your thread title wasn't "enticing" enough... There are quite a few threads on here lately so most people have to just select a few to read due to time constraints etc so select based on the titles etc. Also if it's a difficult topic in the thread some people may have read it but don't have the time to formulate a post etc.
    To give you an idea, 41 people have read this thread...

18. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

92 people have read the skimmer thread.

19. lIghty

lIghty

:32: Working?

20. RiaanP

Rory, question

every week have the same cycle. People are not in the mood to be at the office on Monday (except long married ones) and others can't wait for Fridays (like the students)

When are the most guys up on MASA during the week, day of week and morning or afternoon? When are there normally the most activity?

21. crispin

crispin

i must also confess i am more intrested in replying to threads that are of intrest to me as far as marines are concerned more so than who is online and what they are doing when they are not on masa 24/7.

but thats probably just me :)

Recent Posts