When?

Reaction score
hi guys.wanna know when can i add clowns to my system.got a 60l tank running with 5kg kenyan lr for two months now.added test molly a week ago.want to put in 2 clowns first.too soon?

got two 400lph powerheads in and two hangonfilters.salanity is 1.0024 and ph 8.1.

Ditto to what HighFive said..... Louw - please test your tank's water over a week period, and supply us with the water's parameters over this week period?
We just want to see how stable your water parametres are.
The parameters that you need to supply us, are:
- pH
- alkalinity
- ammonia
- nitrites
- nitrates
- temp

Also - what lighting do you have over this nano tank, Louw? You need at least 3 x 36 watt or 4 x 24 watt T5's or similar wattage to successfully keep an anemone and clown-fish.
Also - how often do you do water changes? At least 10% per week (minimum) on this size tank is VERY important....

What is in the hang on filters?

Get some test kits, and check the ammonia, nitrite levels... when they are zero your tank should be ready.

the temp is 26c stable.got a 200l plastic drum ready for waterchanges.gonna check nitrate nitrite levels agian today.only got 4 15w t8 lights at moment.wanna get t5. lfs asking 1400 for 2 t5 with reflectors for my size.where can i get for better price? filters got activated carbon foam and one of those sponge things in.400lph each

I would replace take out the sponge things in the filters..... perhaps think about changing one of the filters to a refugium.... I have seen some cool ideas for hang on refugiums ojn the net. it is possible to change a hang on filter to provide this function.

Hi Louw - many thanks for your response. The lighting at this stage is not NEARBY enough for keeping an anemone. You can indeed keep the fish, first, and then still later-on upgrade your lighting. 24 watt T4 units averages about +-R700 per unit (containing either two or three globes - not 100% sure).... The 39 watt units goes for +-R850 each.....

on the filter should i just remove everything and add lr and argonite?thanx for the fast responses.helping lots here.where can i get the lights from?only know the shop in strand.price sounds much better

Louw: do you want to go for an anemone?, I would not recomend this in a 60L system. As Jacquesb said, you are going to spend some big cash on an adequate light system. Rather go for the clowns and tlet them host what ever they want.... an anenome is not required... and from what I have seen it is actually not recomended.

leave the carbon in your filter,remove the sponge and add P04 remover

Hi Louw - IF you still want to go for the lighting, and IF you are prepared to be EXTREMELY diligent with water changes, then you can keep an anemone, later on (now is still a little bit soon). You can get some lighting units much closer to Cape Town.
In the Southern Suburbs, there are Sam's Aquarium, Exotic Reefs. Northern Suburbs: Northern Aquatics, Aqua Concepts, AQuality, Panorama Pets

The prices I gave you would be average prices. You might find either slightly higher or perhaps slightly lower.....

helping cause i only want to keep two clowns in the tank.mabe add i more small fish but havnt decided on what yet.this tank is for the girlfriend.im still planning my 1.5m tank.so savin funds for that.what can u recomend to keep with clowns?

Clown fish are part of the damsel family. Even though not as aggressive (mostly) as some other types of damsels, they do tend to be overtly aggressive when it comes to territory. You can safely keep most gobies and blennies, some of the smallest pygmy angel-fish (ie lemon-peel angel, or perhaps a small bi-color angel or even a small coral beauty angel), chromis, etc.....

Just not any tangs or surgeons - as they require a LOT of swimming space in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom