When we were dumb...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Annoying, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey everyone

So after a reply I sent on a other post I got the idea. What is the dumbest thing you initially thought worked in marines. This is in the beginner days when you didn't know better and didn't take the time to do the research. This is if you began a tank before you joined MASA or a other information group.

I will start, initially when I began with my 180L tank I only ran it with a canister filter that I cleaned once a month:whistling:. Also I thought a water change was to suck out some detritus on the ground and run it through a filter and use the "clean" water again.:lol:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Well i couldnt afford live rock so i bought 40kgs of Lava rock ( valcanic rock ) used salt mix and R.O and let it cycle...
    Untill i saw the iron in the rock rusting !

Through out everything and started again at greater expence.

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I bought cheap rock that cost R75 in cape town for R220 a kilo.Was ripped off coz I didnt do my homework and thought Im paying R220 coz thats what lr cost.I also added 8 clowns,1 tomato clown and then a damsel. Had to give all my fish away.Guess what,my lfs would not take the fish back. Ive never been back and now I know alot more and I still cant believe how I got ripped off and how badly the advice was, given to me.she doesnt stock marines anymore. :gun_bandana:

5. seank

seank

Listening to the local LFS when I first started, adding Lava rock- Bought from him, and adding one Aptasia anemone I bought on a small piece of "live rock" from him to have some life in the tank- Aptasia cost me R15.00

6. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

lol, that is funny :)

7. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Wha.. Wha.. WHAT!!!:eek:

8. seank

seank

Thought it was a dead steal at that price. Prettiest thing I ever saw- coming from bathwater and seeing my first ever live coral- well, that was the only "coral" he had in his display tank, and when I heard it was a type of nennie- my first thought was to get a Nemo for this nennie...... 1 month later... I had lots of these things and thought, wow, corals does grow faster than freshwater plants.... Was I wrong----- yeahh

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  9. AndrévN

AndrévN

Hehehe

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

This wins the award :thumbup:

11. coral diver

coral diver

I Agree 100% ;)

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Bought lots of Lava rock when i started and guess what, 8 yrs later its still in my system, and is used in my filter or as base rock, no problems. Used pool filter sand (silica sand) for my DSB, yup its still running, never had any issues with it.

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

though a canister was the answer to filtration, i didnt need a skimmer, didn't need to do water changes, didnt need to test water parameters, nemo needed an anenome, pool filter sand could make a good dsb, crushed coral could make a nice substrate and the detritus is catches was a sign it was working, the only lights id ever need is 1 blue and 1 white T8, also thought apitasia was prutty..... all of the above was advise from the lfs, i use to spend hours in there picking their brains..... evidently they were the wrong brains to be picking.

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i used pool salt when i started in 1990 and converted a molly, then tried a real marine fish... lucky i did find an LFS that helped properly

15. rakabos

rakabos

Thread should be renamed to "When we are dumb..." when i see some of the other threads :lol:

16. Sammy

Sammy

Came home with a boyu TL550, salt mix, live rock and a clown from lfs.
    I was told to fill with tap water, throw salt into tank, mix through with a nice big spoon until salt is dissolved, ohh at least I was sold a hydrometer.

Add live rock, when water became clear throw in clown, needless to say what happened to the clown, I only discovered something called RO water and the nitrogen cycle once I discovered MASA.

Tank running for 2 weeks I started over, Grrr

Last edited: 5 Jul 2011
  17. Tremayn

Tremayn

From the start I was on Masa so no real big screw ups.... but I thought my majano was pretty (hey it has colour on it :p ) , this was during cycling. I didnt have a light at that time so I used a mirror to shine sun light on my new "coral" :lol:

Then I bought a dyed purple leather.. when I think of it now, pretty sure it was already dead

18. Q89

Q89

Well, thanx to MASA and @xtreme so far nothing bad happened :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Got my seconhand tank... Shocked myself with a faulty return pump. Then bought 20 KG salt (used 18kgs in a 4ft )and a glass Hydrometer. It said I was doing 1.024. My Live rock started bleaching - went to the LFS and I was told my Salinity was 1.039 :eek:

You learn the hard way....

20. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Luckily you only had live rock in the tank, just think if you had coral:eek:

21. Junz

Junz

When i first started my tank i setup my DSB and after a couple of days i saw little creatures(coepods) swimming around on the sand bed, i killed them all since i thought they were mantis shrimps...... lekker dumb

Recent Posts