When to test

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Shaun, 13 Apr 2009.

1. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Hi Hennie, when adding Kalk, Magnesium etc how long should a person wait before doing tests, and does it differ for lets say kalk and Calcium chloride etc.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Shaun,

Yes, there is a difference in the time that it takes for the different additives to fully achieve equilibrium in a tank. Additives such as calcium chloride and magnesium sulphate will fully mix and equalize quite rapidly, and depending on factors such as water circulation volume and amount added, one can test within an hour or two. Additives such as sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate, and commercial additives such as Tropic Marin's Bio Calcium, all need to react with the CO2 in the water before they can fully reach equilibrium (the ratio of carbonate to bicarbonate depends on the pH of the water, which in turn depends to some extent on the amount of CO2 dissolved in the water as carbonic acid). For this reason, I prefer to wait at least 12 hours before I test for alkalinity / hardness.

Kalk (if dripped properly into a high-flow area) is an ongoing process, running 24/7, and for this reason I believe that one cannot really test it's effect specifically. One can (and should) test at least every week or two to confirm if it is maintaining the calcium and alkalinity - at least until one has determined that it remains constant.

Hennie

4. Shaun

Shaun Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Thx, I see some strontium additives are only detectable 36 hours after adding to a tank.

5. Shaun

Another question, I have been trying to test the diff between using vinegar and not when mixing kalk. It is done with 500ml tank water so is a closed system, how long should I wait before testing the water?

6. Reef Maniac

I'm sorry Shaun, but I don't understand - are you dripping the kalk/vinegar mix into 500ml of tank water, or are you mixing the slaked lime and vinegar with 500ml of tank water and then dripping that into the tank ???

Hennie

7. Shaun

At the moment trying to verify that vinegar and kalk is more effective in adding calcium to a tank than just kalk mix to a tank. So I want to test on 2 containers of tank water. 1 container I will add the vinegar and kalk mix and the other container just the kalk mix. Hence my time question what should be time period after adding the kalk mixes and then testing for calcium.

Thx.

8. Reef Maniac

Oh, I see :)

Are you planning on dripping the mix as per "normal" method? (I would suggest that you do, and that you have a power head in the container to ensure proper mixing and gas exchange.

If done as per the above, I would suggest that you complete the dripping of a given volume (say 100ml) over a period of (say) 12 hours, and then to allow the water to circulate for another 12 to 24 hours before testing for calcium and alkalinity.

Hennie

9. Shaun

Wow 100ml over 12 hours, will have to play around a bit. Thx

10. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Reef Maniac thanks i did not no this

11. Reef Maniac

Well, this figure was given just as an example ("I would suggest that you complete the dripping of a given volume (say 100ml) over a period of (say) 12 hours") and would obviously depend on the size of the tank you're dripping it into. As an experiment to determine the effect of adding vinegar to the lime, one would obviously like to have as large a reading as possible, to be able to measure a difference, if there was any - hence the rather large figure in the example - but one would obviously have to give it some thought.

Hennie

Recent Posts