When to test water params

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by RiaanP, 1 Mar 2009.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Now this might be a total stupid newbie question. Or Logically easy to answer.

When must I do my water param tests? Before or after a water change?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Riaan - this depends on the maturity of your tank, and how well you know your tank's inhabitants.

BUT - just to answer your question - neither. Test your water parameters, when it is stable....
    So - either a day or two BEFORE your do a water change, or a day or TWO AFTER you have done your water change.

4. bashewa

bashewa

Riaan I agree with Jacque, and a easy way to see if water is stable is to test the pH of the water you can use a swimming pool tester kit, if the pH hasnt changed within 12 hours the water can be assumed to be stable, keep all your pumps and circulators running as per normal

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

I used to take my test just before the water change. That wil give me the worst case readings. And that is what I wrote up in my Logbook / diary.
    I realized that taking it after the water change will give me a diluted by 10% reading. Giving a false reading on what the tank was in last 2-3 days.
    Jacquesb suggestion makes perfect sence. Take it in the middle between the water changes.
    But
    "In future" when my worst case readings for NO3 and PO4 are zero, and all others readings normal, should that not be the ideal situation?

6. jacquesb

LOL! Yes, of course Riaan..... it will be great to have those parameter readings, "at worst case scenario" ;)

7. Tony

Tony

CHeck your p.H when the lights are off and a few hours after they are on. The p.H is alsways lower before the lights come on

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Not always, I have found since having a refuge and loads of macro algae in my sump on reverse cycle that my pH only fluctuates around 0.1 in 24 hour period.

9. tinusb

tinusb

If I may be allowed --- uhm, need to throw a curveball... isn't the problem maybe that some reefers are testing their water too often? I pretty much go with the principle - test when you see something is not looking kosher. Just my 2c.

10. jacquesb

In the 1st 6 months - I think it is imperative to test very regularly.

11. tinusb

tinusb

Jacques, where's ur moral support! U should agree with me, no matter how wrong I am! I'll tell ur lovely wife! :D

12. jacquesb

LOL.... Look - when one's aquarium ages - I agree 100% fully with you. I just want to ensure that newbies who might read this thread, don't get the wrong impression!

I am QUITE sure that those of us who have mature aquariums, only really NEED to look at the state of their life stock, to know that something's amiss - and that they URGENTLY need to look at the water parameters...

BUT, many aquariums only START to reach maturity around a year of age....

Up to that time - the tank, and reefer - is MOST likely, still a Newbie ;)

13. RiaanP

I always do my water change on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Depending how the weekend goes. I test my worst case always before the water change.
    I did once test the PH early on a Saturday morning, and it was lower that usual, and then that afternoon it was ok again. What is acceptable?

14. Tony

Tony

Riaan. How mush lower?

15. RiaanP

Enough to go "WOW WHAT THE ...."

Can't remember exactly what the reading was. But will redo it this Saturday Morning. But I think now with my cheato ball growing like crazy, DSB more matured and scrubber running the difference will not be that WOW

Recent Posts