when to sell frags

Discussion in 'Fragging Corals' started by Charl_Stanhope, 20 Apr 2013.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hi guys. What is the general consenses when it comes to selling frags, how long must you wait after fragging corals.do you dip them ? The reason i am asking is i have some really nice frags,but they have some (very little )hair algae on them. I've had them for 6 months already but cant get rid of the algae as my frag tank is not as well set up as my main tank. How do you decide your flags are ready to sell.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Why not post a pic or 2.

4. Seabass

Seabass

Pics, many many pics. That will help.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

they must at least be settled and grown onto the frag plug or rock they were glued upon. With some new growth.

6. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

The average Acro frag takes about 3 weeks to encrust nicely, different species are slow growers and take longer, some take ages, but as long as they they have fully encrusted and showing no signs of RTN or STN, they they good to go after 3 weeks. Having them for 6 months is pretty long.

Here is an e.g of one ready to go, see the encrusted base to frag plug.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Depends heavily on the buyer. I much prefer getting unmounted, freshly cut pieces. This way i can mount them where and how i want.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Zoa and other softies should also be settled. Leathers do grow quickly onto something but sometimes they can take forever, especially if the currents are too strong. I had a big pincushion who refused to attach to the rocks. More than 6 months later, I eventually just sew it into place, ask my mom for needle and thread and run the thread 3 times through the base. Viola, eventually, never knew my needle skills will come in handy with marines.

Zoa's can be superglued. But at least have new growth to cover the glue and hide it.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just another though. As you want the frags to prosper and grow. That means your frag tank conditions must be "perfect". Most likely better than your display. The lights needs to be effective and enough. The flow must be enough not to blow the frags off the plugs. but still prevent settlement in between.

The parameters should be spot on depending on the type of frags. SPS like good quality water where softies is not that fuzzy. Pincushions do prefer some phosphates.

10. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

Will post some pics tomorrow . :thumbup:

11. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Waiting for pics. :thumbup: Seems to me nobody in KZN selling frags. :(

12. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

Thanx @Andre, definitely helps. Most of my frags are lps or softy frags but will keep this in mind when i do decide to frag tank some of my sps

I'm going to try your method as i have a few stubborn leather frags .

The frags that i would like to sell are all a min of 6 months old and they have all grown quite a bit.

This i think would depend on frag.i would also like certain frags unmounted ,but then others definitely mounted. Also depends on the frag plug.size,shape etc.

I agree, i have leds running over My frag tank. Took me along time to get perfect flow,but think i have finally got it figured.also try and keep nutrients as low as possible and all parameters in check.i do very regular water changes.

I think the base rock i used as frag plugs,is leaching nutrients and that's why I'm having gha problems.it's very little though.I'll post pics tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts