when to dose and when not to dose

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by KAJSafrica, 29 Apr 2014.

1. KAJSafrica

KAJSafrica

hey so i wanted to ask about dosing a tank with trace elements for corals and such, and i keep reading mixed reviews where some say, depending on the salt mix you use, that you don't need to, and other's saying they dose regularly

so my question is, is dosing needed to keep a reef tank? and if so how much ?

tank specs, RSM 130D

Last edited: 29 Apr 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hippocampus

Hippocampus

I definitely wouldn't dose without testing the water as with some elements this could cause havoc. If you want to dose something I suggest you first buy the test kit .

4. DerekL

DerekL

Like Hippocampus said don't dose anything that you are not testing for. I would suggest as this is what I do test after doing a water change and record numbers. There are apps for smart phones. I have an iphone and use aquatic log it allows me to record all parameters. If you would rather just write them down in a note book that will work as well. I checked calcium alkalinity and magnesium every day for a week after a water change this allowed me to calculate my tanks comsumption of those three in a weeks period I then furthered my math to get my daily consumption. Everyday for a week may not be nessasary but for me it made the math easier. Once you have figured it out you should need to check but a couple times a month to ensure that you are still dosing the proper amount. Here is a chart I stole from a website I hope it isn't against the rules here for me to post it. Right now as all I have are zoanthid a few softies and a leather and two small tridacna clams my weekly 10 gallon water change is keeping these levels stable for me. I do use Aquavitro Salinity salt. I saved this chart on my iphone and MacBook Air even though I have been in and out of the hobby for many many years I have been able to share it forward to anyone new to the hobby.

image.jpg

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

If you are doing the required water changes using a reputable salt brand you will never need to dose any trace elements. Keep an eye on your Ca, Alk and Mg.

6. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi @DerekL do you know of any apps similar to aquaticlog that work on android. thanks for posting that table with elements. looks like the one Randy Holmes-Farley uses just a lot prettier.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. KAJSafrica

KAJSafrica Thread Starter

wow thanks everyone, i love that idea of working out ur tanks daily consumption, i will defiantly try it out

8. DerekL

DerekL

Hot Sauce here is an app I found that works for both iOS and android I haven't tried it but I think I switch it is called Aquarimate. From what I read it is exactly like the app I use now. Also KAJSafrica if you need any help figuring out your tanks daily consumption rate PM I will be more then happy to help.

9. DerekL

DerekL

Hey Hot Sauce I was just looking at that app Aquarimate for my phone and it isn't free but looks pretty Sweet. Aquatic log is available for android too. I use the free version as I have this and a other forum to upload pictures and what not. Anyways check them out and figure out which one will be best for you.

Recent Posts