When last did you flood....

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RiaanP, 26 Jul 2010.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Is flooding the house only reserved for beginners and newbies?

Or do experience reefers still do the towel dance?

In the beginning, I had no floods. Then came a stage when I experimented with multiple tanks, funny overflows, etc, and I flooded my Lapa like 2 or 3 times a month. From small 1L to bigger - running out the door stuff. Lately, not anymore. Thank goodness. Almost did this weekend when I did my waterchange, filling the sump, forgetting to switch return pump back on. Well, I did last weekend, about 1-2L when I bumped the pipe off between my container and sump when I did do the waterchange. Ok, I tripped myself over the pipe...

Please be honest, give estimated wastage, and when. :thumbup:
    And how angry was your other half.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i do it altleast once a month when topping up the RO reservoir :p Just stick the RO line into the bucket and forget.

4. AndrévN

AndrévN

Bewahahaha, its like this - when she OR the kids see me working on the tank and the water containers is out the bring towels automatically lol. AT LEAST i have my tank in the lounge on tiles so not that critical. Worst is when i top up i usully spill half all over the bliming floor if i dont look as im always watching something else in the tank and swing the pipe away from the sump and f-up everything so yes it happens, much less now, but shit happens dude. Always water on the floor when im done. And its been 2yrs now. LOL

5. crispin

crispin

i spill often, those 1l things that need me to get towles fast as i have wooden floors. But one of the best things i ever did was get a wet dry vacume cleaner, takes the hassel out of the spills and floods very fast.

i havent had a major mishap this year comming to think of it....well excluding the Ro overflowing its drum over the bathroom floor. that does piss the non reefer off and i always know the exact moment in the morning that she steps into the puddles....

but im getting that sorted out soon too.

6. Anemone

Anemone

Spills are a regular thing here. I'm just happy when it's not a brine culture that gets dumped on the floor.

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

8. maj

maj

when i swopped from internal to external skimmer,i flooded the lounge like 3 times in one week.always switching the skimmer off but forgetin about the feeder pump.

all this flooding eventually led to few of my lounge tiles coming loose,as the water would lay ther untill i get home from work---salt messes up evrything

9. keyaam

keyaam

I keep on flooding the driveway when I make up RO. I have to set a hour reminder on my phone to stop the RO

10. Anemone

Anemone

I had a glass container holding 8 liters of brine break on me today. I was walking with it and the whole bottom of the glass jar broke off. Brine went everywhere. Of course it was the only brine I had available that was properly enriched. :censored:

Scott caught me talking to 2 week old seahorses, "ok kids, mommy spilled your lunch, dinner and tomorrows breakfast, here's some frozen....there is no time for training so EAT!" :lol: A few actually ate some! :slayer:

11. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

I flooded my sump room about 2 weeks ago experimenting with the durso overflow from my LR tank to the refuge.

i lost about 25l on the carpet!!!! lets say the powers that be flipped.

then a second time when one of my DBN snail decided to try and foofy slide into the next tank and got stuck, again i lost 25l.

ahh teething problems, he got really sumped after that!

12. iced666

iced666

my sump overflowed and messed my carpets

13. danimal

danimal

once in the beginning, the tank had only been running for about 3 weeks and was still cycling, I went away for the weekend. still not sure exactly what happened but came home to wet carpets and a dry sump. ... :/

again a few months ago, a snail got around the mesh protecting my overflow and got stuck in the downpipe... woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of gushing water....

other than that, just minor spills when doing water changes etc.

14. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Lol my last flood was yesterday. Silly diy experiment, just a few tweaks to do.

15. JD167

JD167

Almost yesterday while doing a water change. Was pumping new water to the DT while working in the sump(normally do it to the sump). I didn't adjust the return ballvalve so water from return pump + water from drum = too much for overflow and some water went over the side. *facepalm*:whistling:

16. gecco

gecco

:) Last night, RO pipe went awol and woke up to a lekka wet living room...

17. mandarin

mandarin

Biggest and fasted flood, about 200ltrs in 2 seconds, tank burst halfway up the height of the tank, keep staring for another few seconds then brain only kicks in, tooooo late.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Reviving an old thread.

Recently had my biggest flood yet. Return pump pipe jumped off. Sprayed 40L water out of the sump. Do you know how much lounge floor area can be covered with 40L water. All of it...

I know its 40L because I had to refill with 2 * 20L drums.

Used up all my towels to dry the room out.

So, when last did you flood?

19. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Ill join ...

This morning the floor next to my office was flooded , and run under my offices rubber "tiles "
    now when i walk on it the water squirts at me through the joints ...

Sump leaking.

20. Omnitank

Omnitank

Last week I was doing some modifications to my sump and let a thin pipe lay on the floor. Within a few minutes I had a mini flood on our carpet - no tiles there.

21. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

My first flood occurred due to haste. Before leaving on holiday. Forgot the ATU on whilst doing a water change. Simple maths equate to one bottle old water out, one bottle new water in, balancing out.
    NOT...
    ATU dumped a fair amount (unknown quantity) in the sump. Did not see that until I felt my feet getting wet after only emptying about half of the new saltwater (5L) in display.
    First reaction is "s^+¥t". Check salinity. Dropped to 1.021 from 1.026.
    Phone a friend for assistance...
    First reaction: " congrats on your first flood, you are now a true reefer"
    Needless to say, that was not the expected answer, I was NOT impressed.
    System did survive though:)

Recent Posts