When does a Diamondback Goby calm down?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Elrond, 30 Jun 2011.

1. Elrond

Elrond

Folks,

I recently purchased a diamondback goby and clearly didnt do my research. I sort of expected him to gently nibble and sift through the sand, keeping my sand bed neat, tidy and generally looking awesome... meanwhile... back in the real world...

After placing him in the tank, I disappeared off to gym, only to return to find my tank had turned from a nice clear salt water, to a much more milky resembling substance :eek:

He's been burrowing the hell out of the entire tank, disrupting my carefully sculpted LR and a few of my low lying corals. 2 days in... he's still busy

Does he eventually calm down?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Wel apparently there's a lot for him to feed on/filter out of the sand... :biggrin:

4. rakabos

rakabos

Haha

I have a 6 spot goby which also had my tank in a mess for a few days. The goby will never calm down, but the milkyness will go away after a few days as he stirs up most of the gunk, which is why you bought him, right?

Your sand will be very clean after a few weeks and stay clean. My water never clouds up anymore from the goby, i do see the odd excavation now and again when he is behind the rock work and doing his thing, there will be some dust in the water. The longer he is in the less of an issue it becomes

5. zayd

zayd

My 2 are still at it 2 mnths later and water still has %&*$ in it.

6. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

Thanks guys... I was fortunate enough to be home for more than 5 minutes yesterday and noticed him digging a huge burrow under one rock, he then proceeded to use the bigger stones/shells to create a wall to block the constant collapsing wall of sand coming in to his burrow. This morning I peered in with a torch and noticed he's now covered the wall up with the sand he moved out, thus creating a burrow that wont collapse. I love seeing stuff like this. It's why I'm in the hobby. Really awesome.

Although there's now a layer of fine dust on pretty much everything, I'm sure it'll disapate in awhile or else I'll get over it.

7. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

These guys do a sterling job of keeping the sandbed clean.
    I wouldn't even thing of running my reef tank without one.

Of course, the risk of destabilising your rocks is real, so you have to compensate for this in the rockwork design

8. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

How's it going now Elrond? I got the same goby yesterday and my tank is a mess...

9. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

coswecanfly - hey man! It took mine 2 weeks before the tank started to look nice and clear again. I think he sifted all the microparticles out. LR and corals were a bit of a mess and I totally underestimated how agressive he would be. Many corals had to be moved for his burrow, much LR has collapsed... :p

It's looking fantastic now though! Will be interested to see if the general mayhem calms down or...

Goodluck! let us know how yours works out here (on the thread) if you dont mind?

10. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

My goby has not really settled down but all the fine "snow" that was drifting around has been filtered out by either my system or the goby... :biggrin: Nothing in suspension anymore but my LR has lost a lot of colour for now...

11. chrispy12345

chrispy12345

Goby

Hey there elrond. I just bought a diamond back 3 days ago and same thing happening to me. Just wondering If you did a few more extra water changes or if you just waited it out. I love what a goby does but not a big fan of the big mess he makes. Thanks

12. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

Heya chrispy12345,

I normally try do a 15% water change every 3-4 weeks, but in this case didnt do any extra changes. The tank eventually does clear - promise. I had a lot of rockwork moved a bit but now the substrate is beautifully clear.

Goodluck!

Recent Posts