when do you feed your fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nsteyn, 7 Jan 2011.

1. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Read an interisting titbit just now, that i never thought of before...

"fish get fed early evening, they remain active for 12 hours burning off a higher percentage of the feed in energy so the bioload for the filters to cope with is reduced. if fish are fed then the lights go out they tuck away in the rocks for the night, much more food passes through so higher organic waste levels are produced."

So have you thought about this, it seems to make sense....

When do you feed?

Niel

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I feed twice a day - in the morning and again at around 5pm

4. Dane

Dane

Hmmm. Not sure if I agree with that reasoning. To me it would make more sense in the manner that if you feed in the evening, and waste levels are highest after a feed (not necessarily true), then photosynthetic nasties like ctano and pest algaes wouldnt be able to utilise it - giving the bacteria a head start.

5. Nsteyn

Nsteyn Thread Starter

urm ok, that might be a bit confusing. my bad. The guy's lights are off during the day, and only switch on at night, so when he say he feeds early evening, it means morning for the fishes - if that makes any sense. so basically feeding in the morning, so that the fish burns the food during the day rather than feeding in the evening just before they go to bed.

6. magman

magman

I feed 3-4 times a day, the angels always have sponge to peck on, but they fat and lazy, or nori for them to peck on.

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I also feed at least twice a day (most often three times). I prefer giving them a few smaller meals than one large meal.

Did the guy say why he has the lights on at night?

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

In theory, that is not true. The more you are active the more your cells need energy from the food you eat which translates to more waste from an active cell than a sleeping cell.
    During sleep your cells store the extra food in the form of Glycogen or fat cells in the body.
    So, theoritically, the fish will have enough energy first thing in the morning. I usually feed my fish about 1 hour after the lights come on and two hours before the lighs go off.
    In the end it is about balance, fortunately nature has made smaller animals have higher metabolisms so that they need frequent feedings of small amounts to keep up their high metabolic rate.

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i feed min 4 times a day, 6am, 5pm, 9pm and lights out 10pm, and basically everytime time i want to see hiding fish or have people over

Recent Posts