When do I replace my phosguard?

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Renier, 7 Nov 2011.

1. Renier

Renier

Is there any way of knowing when to replace phosgaurd other than phosphates showing up on test kits?
    I dont want to waste this product as its quite expensive.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

Renier the purpose of phosguard is to remove phosphates. when it becomes apparent that phosphates are rising it is the only indication that the phosphates may be satiated. if you want phosguard to last longer feed less and do more water changes anf get the best skimmer you can afford

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Besides doing the above mentioned...the LFS where I bought my PhosGuard told me to exchange it every 6months..or rejuvenate it..it does state on the box..."AS LONG AS CONCENTRATIONS REMAIN UNDER CONTROL, THE PRODUCT IS NOT EXHAUSTED"...so I suppose it can be rejuvenated after roughly 6months...but I replace mine just to be on the safe side...

5. Tridan

Tridan

dbl post i need sleep

Last edited: 7 Nov 2011
  6. Tridan

Tridan

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. belindamotion

@Tridan wow..good thing then that I decided to replace mine every 6months...!!!

8. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

@ Belinda & Tridan, You are discussing something I have tried to figure out the last 2 months. I had major sump probs and rebuilt a new sump with double the capacity. When I saw the algae started growing I restarted my home made PO4 reactor thinking I now have this huge sump(Its huge when compared with my small DT.) Well 2 days later this very, very strong algae growth starts and I was then told the prob is the phosphate media depositing the PO4 back into the system. At the same time I must say I did not have a scrubber after the sump changeover and I now believe this is my problem.

Should we not rather keep the ATS running and stop worrying about the PO4 remover that is not easy to manage plus it is expensive. I say it is not easy to manage cos whatever test kit one uses the reading is bound to be very low and when you question the low reading the answer is the the algae in the system is using the phosphates and thus the low reading.

Is it not better to run a decent ATS that one can monitor easy-when you get strong green algae growth it is working well and the PO4 problem should be sorted?

9. belindamotion

@herkie ...I'm still new at this and having a small 58L Nano "plug-in-and-play" I find, for obvious reasons, the exchange of PhosGuard to be my "answer"..I pay about R90 for a "bag" and only need one...so I can live with R90 every 6months..I've always basically followed Threads that contained information relevant to me and have only lately "strayed" and ventured into the "larger "engine-room" tanks" and I have to admitt that I have been thinking along the same lines..I've just lightly touched the topic of a ATS and from what I'm reading, I'm starting to like..I so want my next and only upgrade to be as "chemical free" as possible..I do like the idea of Miracle Mud and I'm also starting to like the idea of a Algae Scrubber..whether I'll feel this way in a couple of months or not, I can't say as I'm sure there are Pros and Cons to both..will have to wait and see as I gather more info...

10. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Dear all...
    It has been proven by experiments and research by many many water treatment engineers that algae is the best method to assimilate Nutrients such N : P (Nitrates : Phosphates)
    It can reduce both drastically when the algae growth is efficient and harvesting is done regular.

If you want to go all natural then you must understand what methods you gonna use to maintain C : N : P ratio...Carbon : Nitrate : Phosphate

Carbon dosing is required for biomass cultivation, it is done by adding a carbon source and a bacteria source, they consume nutrients such as nitrate and phosphate then skimmed(biggest skimmer you can find) out or consumed by corals.
    Nitrate filtration must be dealt with via denitrification, the most natural method is a DSB. A DSB is prone to lock in phosphates and will release it slowly and make it seem as if after using a phosphate media that its not working because there is an almost limitless suply of phosphate locked in.
    Phosphate removal, the best natural means is a ATS. It may take a while before results show a reduction and eventual complete removal of hair algae....patience is the key here. Its not an over niter.
    Lots of other beneficial nutrients are used up in all these processes and must be restored into the water.

Those other nutrients are required by fish and corals to grow and color up.
    These additional nutrients are strontium, iodine, potasium, minor trace elements, amino acid and vitamins.
    Regular water changes can assist easily with restoring these nutrients, and water changes are the most natural means to do this. alternatively you have to dose chemicals.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited: 7 Nov 2011
  11. Tridan

Tridan

@herkie

I agree with you that a ats is probably the way to go in efficient po4 removal naturally, but renier was asking about phosgaurd, hence he got info on phosgaurd.

@SchyffS

I agree with you here aswel, the only downside most folks will encounter with a ats is space, they have been proven to work and as such really do belong in any aquarium that can fit one in.
    The chemical removal of po4 also has its place it has been proven to work with maintenance, its also more convenient for guys with no space to run a ats.

I am currently running phosgaurd, purely because i have a lack of space, however once i have renovated my area at home and the space is available i will run a ats.

12. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

:)

Seachem phosgaurd is not renewable or rejuvinatable. The instructiosn for baking it is just to dry out when being stored for reuse whilst the product is not completely exhausted.
    When its exhausted it must be replaced :(
    According to Seachem if the phospahate level remains stable then its not exhausted, but if it start to rise beyond 0.2ppm then the product is finished. Toss it.

However, other phosphate media such GFO and others can be rejuvinated up to 5 times reusable.

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Aluminium based phosphate removers can be rejuvenated, well, so some manufacturers claim. And then others claim that none can be regenerated.

RowaPhos is a GFO and it cannot be regenerated or rejuvenated.

14. Braco

Braco

These products are so expensive and some manufactures claim that it is re-usable others states it cannot be...RowaPhos claimed to be better than most other brands...but not being re-usable does claim a pretty penny..it's all about choice in the end..and what pattern you want to follow..As Belinda..i rather just buy too every 6months or so another Phoshate Remover and thus far has kept me clear..i dose Vodka..daily..for the last good couple of months...and had no set backs..yet...(touch Wood)...It's all about preference i say..;)

15. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Yes, not all of them. In most cases an additional fluid is used to soak the GFO with, draining the fluid will remove the phosphates with it.

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

Chat with jcc he has the methods to rejuvinate if im correct. im too scared i would just use smaller portions and chamge it when it gets dark and oooogly!

17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

18. FransSny

FransSny

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

NaOH is dangerous, prob why the companies say that it cant be regenrated at home.

20. mandarinman

mandarinman

Naaa my livestock is too important to me

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I am told that RowaPhos is not a GFO. It is in fact a GFH

Recent Posts