When Curing the live rock is done?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by hadiosbourne, 21 Dec 2011.

1. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

Hey guys,
    I received a couple of dead fiji live rocks from my friend to add extra rock to my tank,The rocks been out for over 3weeks, so it was completely dead, i cleaned the rock throughly and added them to a bucket with a heater and a circulation pump, i did a water change after a week, and now i'm sitting on second week,
    I tested the water:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 25mg

Does anyone know if the nitrate is something to worry?Or it will be alright?

Any advice is appreciated. :1:

Last edited: 21 Dec 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

There are two possibilities. The rock had high nitrate from past use or the rock is in the cycle phase. Just as an indication. What is the PO4.

4. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne Thread Starter

PO4 is 0.5 mg
    I checked the salinity ,the reading is 1.030 !!
    The water i put last week was 1.021
    Is it something normal?

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The rock will not change the SG ( the readings you give refer to Specific Gravity not salinity) Tempreature will.
    What is the temp of the water? And what test kits are you using? How did you measure the SG?

6. hadiosbourne

The temperature is 24-26 c
    The test kit is the Sera aqua test box,
    and i measured SG using red sea hydrometer

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud I am not going to comment on the test kits you have. I will leave that for a non sponsor.

I am not familiar with the red sea hydrometer. Is it a swing arm or floating one. What is the calibration temp of the instrument?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Evaporation
    Did you top up the container with RO water?

Nemos Janitor likes this.
  9. raytone

raytone Raytone

I think it's fine if you did a water change with salinity of 1.021 because your current salinity is to high. Try to bring down your salinity to 1.025 with RO water only, +- 25*C . Remove some water in your tank and then add the RO water over a time of maybe two hours.

10. hadiosbourne

Here the photos from the test kit and the hydrometer, i know its not a great test kit, but its been working fine for me, i ran the nitrate test with david @ perky pets a couple of days ago, but i thought it should be lower by the second week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hadiosbourne

I did the top of with salt water with SG of 1.021

12. hadiosbourne

My understading was that if the ammonia is zero,cycling is done,
    Maybe i'm wrong.

13. hadiosbourne

Here is the picture of the setup

[​IMG]

14. hadiosbourne

Here is the picture of the tank,
    I always had problem with nitrate in the tank, so i decided to add some live rock to see if it helps.

[​IMG]

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bit min water to cure the rock bud. You need a lot of surface agitation to release CO2 and keep the DO up.

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Ammonia takes about 7 days to stari to decline. Nitrite starts about 5 days into the cycle so ammonia and nitrite overlap always. Then nitrate developers after about 15 to 21 days. This is a basic guide line as there are many other factors to consider.

Nitrate will only be removed by a.....
    Water changes
    Nitrification filter
    Time " no waist introduced"
    Chemical sponges.

17. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I have to agree with what has been saaid above. In my opinion, dead rock from a system is as much (actually more) in need of curing than uncured live rock.

My advice would be as follows:

As mentioned, you're going to need a. Lot more water volume, fill that bucket to just below the rim and ensure water movement breaks surface. Here you really cannot overdo flow! If you hav an external skimmer, or can move rock to larger container which can accxomodate skimmer, first prize. I would also strongly advise addition of a bacterial culture such as Seachem stability or Prodibio biodigest. If stability, every few days, if prodibio, once a week half ampule.this bucket should be kept in total darkness.

Have at most 40% of the volume in the 1st container prepared salt mix, NOT seawater from two oceans, trust me use as cheap a salt mix as you can get, low sg of 1.19 is fine.
    Next, get another bucket, 20 litre will do (its fine to takke out water from the holding container for this, as you gonna do a water change anyway., fill just over half with water. In this bucket, you need dip the rocks, shake and swish them around to get rid of detritus on and INSIDE the rock. Once all rocks have been swished around, return them to holding container and replace the water with new mixed saltwater, which has been well aerated for at least 4 hours. The swshing of rocks should be done as often as possible, but changing water once a week on holding container is fine. Between water changes, its fine to keep the swishing water for the next day, as daily washes will remove the gunk little by little.

Continue with this process for at least three weeks.

It will also be of great help if you were to add a little bit of live cured rock to the holding container.

On your last week, give all the rocks a good scrub before you return them to holding container.

I know it sounds like a LOT of hard work, but if you want to do things right from the get go, this is the only way.

A shortcut would be to soak the rock in acetic acid and RO for three days, with daily rinses and scrubs in RO. Followed by a day or two soak in ro and another day soak in salt mix water. I would only recommend this if you are single, have a well ventilated garage and you are on good terms with neighbours.
    I using this method, please bear in mind that the rock will still take at least a month in your tank before its biological filtration capacity is approached.f

Follo

18. irie ivan

I would highly recommend that you do some research on items before you buy, or post your questions here. I suspect that for the price of that test station and hydrometer you could have bought a refractometer and rather had your water tested by a shop which uses decent kits.

19. hadiosbourne

Well, i didn't really pay anything for those to kits, and as i mentioned in my previous email i usually double check the accuracy of my test with David @ perky pets.
    i was actually looking around for refractometer,

20. hadiosbourne

Thanks everyone for your advice, Here is what i'm gonna do,
    I'll empty 50% of the water from the container, and will fill the container with RO and Salt water upto the rim, Until i get the SG right,and will keep the temperature on 26c ,
    i've got a internal skimmer which i can put inside the bucket, and will change the circulation pump to a much stronger one , and will add some stability as Irie suggested.
    I've already done the initial steps that Irie Ivan mentioned, and the rocks been cleaned and washed like 3times already.will wash them again before adding waters.
    Unfortunately i'm married and live in a flat :) so i don't fit any of irie's the descriptions.
    But i haven't noticed much of smell in this 2 weeks, except the first couple of days.

Please let me know if i'm following the path correctly.
    Much appreciated.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2011
  21. irie ivan

Sounds good. Would still recommed a larger container though, as the higher the water volume, the higher the dilution potential. I would not fill it to the rim, as you want water movement to break surface, although not required if employing a skimmer. Please be sure to remove the rocks from the container in which you mix salt and RO, as new salt is quite caustic and will have a damaging effect on bacterial population colonizing your rock. Best is to mix saltwater for at least four hours in a seperate container......

Last edited: 22 Dec 2011
Recent Posts