whats your guys take on base rock

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by duanead, 10 Jul 2011.

1. duanead

duanead

Hi guys imstarting my tank this week I'm going to put in live rock but to save money mix it with base rock

What's your guys opinions and experiences about base rock?good or bad?or wil you guys stick with just live rock?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashley100

ashley100

im using base rock no problem for now. i have my LR covering it so you cant see it much and base rock is a lot cheaper

4. crispin

crispin

duanead, what size is the display tank?

my feelings on base rock is that its a good way to save some cash in the long run, although one needs to take a few things into account.

I believe that LR is the primary aspect of my bilogiocal filtration, so basically one of the most valluable aspects of me keeping a reef. consequently I use alot and as good quality as i can get, i rarely skimp on it. Thats my first thought, if i can get good LR and afford it, thats what I do.

but if you have a fairly large vollume tank, say about 500l, then mixing it with base rock can be advantageous. The shapes are more attractive to aquascaping and if its well made (ie porous enough) it will house bacteria and aid in filtration, although not to the degree that LR does in my opinion.

However due to the fact that it will take time for the collonisation of the base rock to occure (often longer than expected if its not soaked in RO water for a while to have all chemicals propperly leached out from the manufacturing process), it takes longer to get a system ready and i find that the tanks ive used it in (mixed with LR) havent been able to handle as big a fish load as i would have liked.

It can be done, and some stunning results can be achieved, you just have to go slower and still need some good LR to seed the base rock with.

my 2cents

5. crispin

crispin

just to clarify, i feel that for smaller vollume tanks you are better using straight LR as the 'real estate' in the tank is so valluable that you need the additional filtration of the LR, hence my asking tank vollume originally

6. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Hi thanks guys yes my display tank is about 520liter so its relativly big

7. crispin

crispin

personally if i were putting in a mix of base and LR into that sized tank i would go with minimum of 20kg LR (pref 30) and 30kg base rock.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

yo man. Base rock is cool. I have a lot of base rock and LR in my tank

9. Tony

Tony

I've only used base rock in my tank and the scaping you can do is much better than live rock. You can glue the rocks with pratleys outside the tank and create all sorts on gravity defying shapes you cant do with live rock. another nice thing is that you don't get any unwanted hitchiker. I personally havent found any compromise to the bio filtration as I still have low nutrients. The Carib sea south seas or primo rock is a good choice and a whole lot cheaper than lr. I just have one or two pieces of lr for coralline algae population

10. Tony

Tony

I also only used 20kg of base rock in a 700 litre tank. Less rock and more swimming space and the corals will grow to fill the gaps especially the sps corals. Se guys like a lot of rock so it's personal

Last edited: 10 Jul 2011
  11. pXius

pXius

I used about 20'kgs of base rock to form the "reefs" and create lift in my tank and covered it with live rock. I am however using 40K's of live rock, quite a bit of it in my sump.

12. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Thanks guys just wanted to see what you guys have and your experiences

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I use base rock as the "BASE" of my live rock stack. Normally the shapes are more normal, easier to build a stable stack on top of it. Live rock pieces are usually a lot more odd shaped and more difficult to stack into descend stable formations.

Although, take into account base rock is normally heavier per similar size piece compared to more porous live rock. So although it might sound cheaper per KG, it can be the same price. Base rock that is in a system for a year, should be live. and although it is not that porous, it will still have critters inside, obviously depending on shape.

On bigger tanks, I would use base rock as my foundation.

Recent Posts