Whats up with ZeoVit

Reaction score
People talk like its the miracle marine product. Geez, think I just came up with a great name for a new product:)

Anyways, whats so great about it?

If you use it correctly and know what you're doing you can get great colours from SPS. If you use it incorrectly you will probably kill everything. (and it looks like you can get those good colours the old fashioned way anyway)

Gaboon its one way to skin the proverbial cat. It is basically based on German style of reef keeping of very low nutrients in a system and adding what the coral needs to 'pop' their colours. There are some spectacular tanks that run on this system, it is mainly meant for SPS dominated systems and is an advanced form of reef keeping. There has been criticism that the tanks are being run close to starvation and leaves very little room for error. They are basically run on low bio load, large bacterial colonies and heavy skimming. I tried the zeovit thing and yes it does work although i didn't run the full system but works out very expensive esp with the Euro exchange at the moment. The method i use now i find far easier, big skimming, high well fed fish load with DSB, may not get as bright colours but far less stressful and way cheaper.

Thanks, good replies. Seems unnecessary even if affordable. All the SPS-dominated tanks I've seen that are not running on Zeovit says it all.

These are some of my favourite tanks from yrs gone past, this one belonged to a chap called Ivan, it has been broken down since these picks. It was a sumpless system with a hang on skimmer and the man was/is a real master with Zeovit.

teil2.jpg

ganz.jpg

Then again i also loved this tank, looked far more natural to me, just never knew who it belonged to, but no Zeovit used here.

IM0005371.jpg

IM0005411.jpg

Wow, 2nd tank must have a huge bioload. From the look of the pics there seems to be a huge difference in lighting. Surely thats where the SPS gets its colour from?

1st tank raises another question... A Tang, Sailfin etc. is not recommended for a 200L tank, yet you get tanks like this where the LR and corals take up at least 50% of the tank. From the look of it, my 200L has about the same usable (swimming) space.

Saying that, I cant wait to get a bigger tank

Two very different systems, the first runs on T5's the second i would say very strong MH especially with the depth of the tank. Both these tanks come from a few years ago and i drew alot of insperation from the second one, i really enjoy it, unfortunatly no info. Would love to see the filtration on that system.

holy cow, that second tank is seriously over stocked - but looks very healthy - i wonder how he does it.

Hmmmmmm, zeovit....To Understand more about the system, best to read the zeovit guide, although I believe a large part of it is marketing hype by the manufacturer.
http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf

Another explanation, although often critisized for inaccuracies, can be found here:

By Jens Kallmeyer

and some more info here:

New Page 1

And then of course there is Zeoville, i.e. ZEOvit.com Forum - ZEOvit , where a lot of your questions will be answered, and just as many remain unanswered, but then again, thats cyberreefing isn't it.

I use zeovit, and the results are awesome.....But then again, high risk reaps high rewards. For SOME! But there is truth in saying that the same levels of success can be achieved without using the system.

Unless you are:
1) Willing to import the products yourself, (and some for me),
2.) Can afford to stock up well in advance,
I would not recommend anybody in SA to run the system, as supply is of the fundamental parts of the system is erratic and inconsistant,to say the least.

I can unfortunately NOT comment on ZeoVit, except that I personally think that it is an "unnatural" way of reefkeeping.

BUT - those pics that you posted Alan! WOW! Are pics 3 & 4 the same tank as in pic 2? I just love the natural look of that tank! Unbelievable!

BUT - those pics that you posted Alan! WOW! Are pics 3 & 4 the same tank as in pic 2? I just love the natural look of that tank! Unbelievable!
Pics 1 and 2 are one system- Ivan
Pics 3 and 4 are another system

I can unfortunately NOT comment on ZeoVit, except that I personally think that it is an "unnatural" way of reefkeeping.

Please elaborate on your statement...... What is "NATURAL" about keeping corals and fish in a glass box ?

IIRC, Iwan's tank was not run on ZEOvit, but rather on the PRODIBIO method(combined with some ZEO suppliments).

Hi Ivan - you're right - it's not natural. What I meant to say - there's no bacteria control in the sea over the reefs.... no-one dosing extra bacteria and extra carbon sources and extra amino acids, etc to "color up" the corals...

I just meant - in what (in my mind) I am trying to achieve is a "more natural looking"/acting environment in which my fish / corals live.....

No Bacterial control in the Ocean??? Think again. ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!! Carbon sources? Think about it....... Coral mucus, consists of? AND that's just the tip of the iceberg.

No-no.... you are misunderstanding me - I am saying EXTRA... not that there is NO bacteria in the sea nor carbon sources.... I am saying EXTRA bacteria - extra carbon sources....

That said - once again - I re-iterate: I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE CORAL COLORATION OF SOME REEF_KEEPERS (incl. yourself) - IN THE SEA WHILE SCUBA DIVING ON THE ACTUAL REEFS - not at Mozambique, not at Sodwana, not in the Seychelles, not in Jamaica...

That's why I say - it's not natural....

Back
Top Bottom