What's this blue/grey stuff on my Zoa's?

Reaction score
picture.php

to me it looks like part of the coral, as they do grow somewhat simular to star polyps by slugging as it were...

those zoas are just closed :) .. As leslie hempel said, its part of the coral. Its like an encrusting mat

How long does the "growing" last before they open again.. @rakabos @Tremayn @leslie hempel ..I've had mine do that for about...if not more..than 3 weeks...they don't look "dead" and neither are they getting "slimy"...

Last edited by a moderator:
They always growing Belinda. New Zoa's sometimes take some time to open. They usually close at night and around feeding time when they catch bits and pieces of food. All depending on how many Zoa's you have you can actually see them grow. Good idea to take photo's now and then in 6 months and see the difference.

Belinda i must say even though they are closed they are still looking healthy.. some of mine have withered of late and im a little uncertai9n as to why.. i need to test.. but i have seen zoas go dormant for some time and then bounce back like nothing happened.. have you tried target feeding them..

Hi Belinda

If they have not opened for more than 3 weeks they may not be very happy. I have had zoas in my tank for ages and one day a colony would just close up and never open again and melt away whilst others grow like bossies. Zoas are like that I am afraid

Point all zoa questions to Rakabos, he is the zoa man :)

Belinda i must say even though they are closed they are still looking healthy.. some of mine have withered of late and im a little uncertai9n as to why.. i need to test.. but i have seen zoas go dormant for some time and then bounce back like nothing happened.. have you tried target feeding them..
@leslie hempel ...that picture in the Thread isn't mine...I only posted here as mine is the same..these are my pic's..they are all close except for the orange zoa's infront of the first picture..(just switched lights on so orange still slightly close..my Zoa's have been like this for about 3 weeks..except the top one's in this 1st photo..they just closed 2days ago..but the rest have been 3 weeks...they don't even open during the day..I've checked everything...will go find the result of the Tests, but all seems fine there..
picture.php

I was actually thinking that maybe I have LOW NUTRIENTS..but as I'm still a Newbie, I'm not to sure how that happens..I cycled for like 7months hehee and I've only got 1 CUC.."cheeky" my shrimp...I did add a Tetra EX700 over a month ago and that thing works like a BOMB..
picture.php

I have a Torch so I do give InvertFood once or twice a week(usually one), depending on my amount
of Brine Shrimp I give my fish...they usually get 1 BS cube..I cut it in half and give twice a week...

Last edited:
Ok, you need to check if you have nudis humping your zoas, that's what happen to mine, unfortunately I lost all my colonies due to them an wrd is they doin there rounds on the vietnam zoas..... Zoas stop opening an start turnin brown, an slowly withers away

Ok, you need to check if you have nudis humping your zoas, that's what happen to mine, unfortunately I lost all my colonies due to them an wrd is they doin there rounds on the vietnam zoas..... Zoas stop opening an start turnin brown, an slowly withers away

i have 3 different zoas on 1 rock and only the one type is effected..

i am not sure whats going on either...

I had 2 Nudis slugs and found them both..a while back..been looking but havent found anymore...they were all over my Glove Polyps..from what I gathered from the internet and sihaya..that's what they prefered..so I'm at a loss now as these pieces of LR, with my Zoa's attached, is actually smaller than the slug hehee..you know what I mean..:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom