What's the recommended water change?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by DaneMac, 14 Apr 2015.

1. DaneMac

DaneMac

Hi guys,

What's the recommended water change that I need for my tank. I have a 1600ltr fish only tank and at the moment I am only doing a 10% water change every second week.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

It all depends on your nutrient levels. If you have high nutrients then do bigger waterchanges and if you have low nutrients you can do smaller or less frequently. What is your phosphate and nitrate levels like?

4. DaneMac

DaneMac Thread Starter

Not sure what phosphate is. But my nitrates are on 50 at the moment. Also how do I know if I have high nutrients?

5. riaanwium

riaanwium

Your Nitrates are too high should be 0, rather do weekly water changes of 10% instead of bi-weekly and try to feed a bit less. Should then be down in no time.;)

6. DaneMac

DaneMac Thread Starter

I have a predator tank so how do I know if I'm over feeding cause they eat everything

7. riaanwium

riaanwium

I would then recommend testing the nitrates daily to see how the feeding is affecting your tank and then you can work from there. Maybe you will have to do more frequent water changes of 5% every third day or so.

8. Criggy

Criggy

How long has your tank been running? What are you using for biofilter? what skimmer are you running?
    What are you feeding and in what quantities? What livestock do you have?

9. 4age

4age

with a Fish Only you need a solid skimmer to help keep nutrients down..what size skimmer are you using?

10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

50, on a predator system, although not ideal, is not that excessive. Ideally, yes, 0 is great, but before we start chasing numbers, we need to ask how detrimental a 50ppm nitrate level is.
    Its will take copious amounts of water changes on a system of that volume to bring down and maintain low Nitrates.
    Relevant questions by criggy, please also let us know why you want to know about water changes. Are you experiencing fish health problems, excessive algal growth,....?
    To answer your question, high nutrients are really a matter of opinion, totally dependent on the intended tank mates ;)
    The most common referred to nutrients are nitrates and phosphates, both usually fuel unwanted algae growth.
    There are many cheap and effective ways to reduce especially nitrates in your system.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2015
    Christo, Brendan6 and Fuzzy like this.
  11. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

no offense but statements like that is what starts a chain of reefers sitting with test kits,headaches and stress trying to chase numbers.. ive seen plenty tanks incl full on reef tanks run beautifully with nitrates at 2 or 5 or even triple that...

irie ivan, jimilutz and dawie121 like this.
  12. jimilutz

jimilutz

I would aim fora lower nitrate value but not zero. I am currently battling dinoflagellates and one of the suggested remedies is trying to get the nitrates up a little, they apparently blossom in a low nutrient environment. While nitrates are poisonous to freshwater, I believe dinos are more poisonous for saltwater.

13. Christo

Christo

If this was my system, I would start to run Bio Cubes, Pellets or any other Carbon. Not in the recommended Dosage but just may be 50% of what's needed and see what happens! Like some of the Guys said your NO3 does not need to be 0ppm on a fish only System, but 50ppm means that it is slowly bussy kreeping up until you are going to have a problem. By doing water changes to drop your NO3 in a 1600l system is going to cost LOTS of $$$$. Rather look at an alternative Like I said. I prefer Bio Cubes My Nutrients in my system stays at 0ppm and its a 1000l System. Then I do a 20% water change every 3Months. "If I remember"

dawie121 likes this.
Recent Posts