what's the diff btw di resin and cation?

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by malooda, 2 Feb 2012.

1. malooda

malooda

Hi

I just bought some new filters/membranes for my ro unit and Iv learnt that you get two different resins for the final chamber, what's the differece? Which ones better to have?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

bump

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

You mean anion and cation resin?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I saw those filters in USA , it's an alternative to RO with no waste water, something I am looking at

6. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

DI resin is the one you want to us from municipal supply to get the total dissolved solids down 0. This is a very good question as I know there are two types let's hope that someone give us the low down on this

7. Tony

Tony

You get two different types of deionising resin, cationic and anionic. The cationic resins exhange hydrogen and the anionic exchange hydroxyl. The resins are charged with these particles and when water flows oven them they take up the pollutants and exchange them for the hydrogen and hydroxyl.

Now here's the kicker. These resins can be regenerated. One can regenerate the anionic resin with caustic soda which replaces the hydroxyl ions released with the ion exchange and one uses sulphuric acid to regenerate the cationic which replaces the hydrogen. So all we have to do is figure out which resin we use on our RO units and we can regenerate it, but I'm leaning towards the anionic resin because of the hydroxyl release

I have a friend who only uses deionised water for breeding fresh water fish like angels and discus. He does mix it 50/50 with frsh water as its too pure. He also uses it to make up salt water. I am not sure how it compares to RO water as far as purity goes but I want to test it one day. The upside to deionised water is that you can make 100 litres in a few minutes with no wastage. The downside would be the potential TDS reading but I have to test to verify that.

A lot of the US reefers are starting to deionised water because of the no wastage of water aspect coupled with the rising costs of water

Last edited: 4 Feb 2012
  8. Tony

Tony

I should also mention that one uses the cationic in conjunction with the anionic for water purification. The water flows from one into the other but I'm not sure if one has to be placed before the other or if it doesnt matter

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

@Tony, perhaps you should take a sample of the water to a LFS to test the tds?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Tony

Tony

I have a meter. Must just go and test it and report back

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

Don't most RO units have a DI chamber right at the end. At least I know mine does.

12. Tony

Tony

Manic, I know Marcos units come with deionising resin which are generally blue beads that turn orange as they lose their efficacy

13. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

Iv spoken to someone who kinda knows the ro topic well. He says di resin will help a lot more in giving a low ts reading. The cation resin is not as good as di resin. Cation resin is the gold colour one most lfs are keeping. I'm hoping to get some di resin this week the only problem is it come in 5l packets and di resin membrane take aprox 500ml

14. Tony

Tony

Malooda, both the cationic and anionic resins work the same by taking on ions/pollutants in your water and exchanging them for either hydrogen or hydroxyl ions. I've used both the blue and orange beads on my RO unit, all depending on whats available at the LFS and both game me 0 TDS after my water passed through the RO unit. If the resin comes in 5 litre packs you will have enough for a long time expecially if you regenerate it and use it again.

Where did you get the beads?

15. Manic

Manic Moderator

Cation resin and Inion resin are both forms of DI resin. Cation will drop your TDS to 2-3 whilst anion resin will give you 0 TDS. I bought a 5L bag of colour changing DI resin a while ago, it is still almost full.

Recent Posts