What's the coolest critter to keep in refugium?

Reaction score
Just wondering what's the best critter to keep in my refugium?(besides pods that is:) )

Last edited:
A refugium by definition is a safe area for critters like pods and similar to breed and be safe from predators so they their spawn can feed the display tank and the numbers won't dwindle. This is usually an area where you would house macro algaes for the critters to live in and be used for nutrient export.

There aren't any critters for this sort of thing available for purchase in the south African market although I think the introduction of them would be greatly welcomed by all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm I was thinking more along the lines of a mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp you know something that can't really be kept in your reef display tank:)

Last edited:
Hmm I was thinking more along the lines of a mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp you know something that can't really be kept in your reef display tank:)

Well you don't want to keep something predatory in there as that defeats the point of a refugium. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol I know but I have my refugium situated like a display tank so people can view it I just want something that won't kill my pods:)

Lol I know but I have my refugium situated like a display tank so people can view it I just want something that won't kill my pods:)
well if you want use it as a mini display tank (awesum idea) then dont call it a refugium. you could easily set up the tank with macro algaes, let the pods grow to large proportions and then add a pair of flag tail pipe fish as a display. the macro aølgaes will still be there for nutrient export, if you have a well established pod population they should sustain themselves against the predation of the pipe fish and you should still have some pods going over into the main display. But thats def NOT a refugium.

Thats what i did,in addition to my sup with refugium/dsb,i got myself a 4ft tank,made it a rdsb,added some plants,like codium and other macros.and i just let it stand for over a year. In beginning of march i added a manderin,pipefish are next. My lighting consists of 2x54w T5 tubes,a 24w tube,6500k and a 24w actinic. I would gladly upload a pic,but how do i upload from n galaxy tab???

well, in my remote DSB / refugium 220L tank, I got 2 Cerianthus anemones, 1 long spine urchin, 2 short spine. 1 Babelonian whelk, 2 Strombidae snails, 4 Yellow ring cowries. 2 slightly bigger Caputserpentis cowries. 2 small hermits and some Nerita snails. And by default, lots and lots of copepods and micro bristle stars and bristle worms. And 5 small sand anemones, disc about R1 coin size

tagging

Seahorses!! I was considering it at one point. Loads of macroalgae, sand bed, some liverock etc.

Obviously they would eat pods etc, thus making your refugium more of a mini dt. And also setting up a seahorse friendly environment takes some research etc so before I get blasted down for advocating seahorse murder I'm saying homework would need to be done before just throwing some in.

well, in my remote DSB / refugium 220L tank, I got 2 Cerianthus anemones, 1 long spine urchin, 2 short spine. 1 Babelonian whelk, 2 Strombidae snails, 4 Yellow ring cowries. 2 slightly bigger Caputserpentis cowries. 2 small hermits and some Nerita snails. And by default, lots and lots of copepods and micro bristle stars and bristle worms. And 5 small sand anemones, disc about R1 coin size

Wow, that is a real mini ecosystem.
I have cheato, loads of pods and aiptasia... :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom