whats the best way to mix kalk?

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Tremayn, 23 Jul 2011.

1. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey guys.. What the best way to dose kalk to a system? Heard kalk reactors get damaged and so do the pumps in the ATO. How do you guys do it and how do you mix it up? Heard of using vinegar also to help the kalk to dissolve :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pXius

pXius

Look up kalk stirrers. The reactor pump and ATU pump never comes into contact with the kalk, so no cock up.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

+1 on what pxius sad.. a perastaltic pump can aslo work well as the pump is external standing and the fliuds/kalk go through piping allowing you to put kalk in the Ro chamber and the pump pull from there and export to the sump..

if you do use atu's that have the pump placed in the kalk solution you need to wash them in vinegar more frequently to prevent calcification on the pump..

5. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Please explain the 1st paragraph :blush:
    I have an auto top up. I watched the mr saltwater tank video about dosing kalk and he uses his ato to dose. He said you just have to keep the pump above the sludge.. Is this cool? So I guess I just have to soak the pump in vinegar water. Not really keen on blasting like R2500 on a kalk stirrer

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

erratiC likes this.
  7. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Will read that now Alan. Thanks.. I have a question.. My tank uses 0.3 ALK per day. So I went on the reef chemistry calculator and calculated to raise alk from 6.4 to 6.7 in my 660L system, it would take 1.73L of saturated kalk water. Then they say that its 2tsp of kalk per gallon. So if I need to dose 0.45 gal of kalk water, then I need to use like 1tsp of kalk? Is that correct?

8. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

bump

9. Tony

Tony

The formula for your maintenance is for saturated kalk water. Only so much kalk will dissolve in water before it becomes saturated, so the two teaspoons of kalk in 2 litres of water is fine but bear in mind you will have to add more kalk after a while as it gets used up with every addition of fresh water to make saturated water. You also need to be aware that kalk not only provides alkalinity but calcium as well. If you have a tank that has only a few calcium dependant corals you may have you calcium going through the roof while your alkalinity is maintained. Kalk is 52 percent calcium.

10. seank

seank

According to Alan's link, he also uses vinegar, why???? as I still do not get it after I have read it for the umpteenth time

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

kalk has a low solubility in water. Adding vinegar decreases the pH of the water and to allow for more kalk to be dissolved in it.

12. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

I have mostly LPS and only two sps frags. Should I use kalk or just bicarb? Last I tested my cal, it was off the scale but I never dosed cal before. I have started to dose epsom salts. Just a few spoons a day as I could never get my alk about 7. Also doing water changes

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

What is your magnesium reading?

14. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

havnt a clue as I dont have a test kit. The amount of epsom salts I have started to dose will make a minimal impact as using the reef chemistry calculator, I need 400-450g to pick it up by 50

Recent Posts