Whats the best temp for SPS & LPS?

Mekaeel

Reaction score
howzit guys.what do you guys set your chillers at?mines sits at 26 but goes to r6.6 and drops again

my chiller does not have a temp setting:

chiller.jpg

There is no "best" temp for sps and lps. It all depends what you are after.....

Some time ago, somewhere, I did post some links and quotes from scientific articles showing how sps corals grew faster in higher temp waters. If you are after superfast growth, push the temp up to 29 to 30 degrees. Under NO circumstances should this be done by inexperienced aquarists though. This is literally hanging over the side of a bleaching cliff, and whether its worth the risk is debatable....

26 Is a safe medium either way, although I prefer to run my system a bit higher, and compensate with small water changes on a regular basis with cooler water.

Personally i believe chillers and their feed pumps should be configured to only run at certain times, something like a tidal cycle, bringing cooler water into the reef. Just like in nature. Tricky to set up, costly to say the least.... Ties in with my tidal exposure theories....
So when the lotto starting again??

Just be carefull dipping your temp during a water change your corals may enjoy it, but your fish wont. A large dip in temp will stress the fish and could bring on a case of white spot.

This is a tank running at 22 C and the lighting is T8 Phillips.

tank003.jpg

I don't have corals yet to speak of. But for the first time in my aquarium keeping history am I managing to keep my temp stable at exactly 27 degrees. No dips nothing. I plan on keeping SPS.

Will have to wait and see what happens during the summer.

true Allan, I sometimes forget there are people keeping fish with their corals.......

This is a tank running at 22 C and the lighting is T8 Phillips.

tank003.jpg
rod , post these under t5 & t8 thread. for t8 , your tank looks great. it that an elegance coral at teh top. sorry for thread hijack

Just Google Peltier chiller. I already purchased a Peltier.

Reaper, I will post a thread as soon I know it works. No use in posting a DIY thread if the result doesn't really work. Don't worry, I will mention mistakes as well.

Back
Top Bottom