whats should i do next

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Salti, 12 Feb 2011.

1. Salti

Salti

My tank volume is aprox 220lt it was started on 07-11-10
    I currently have 2 african clowns and 1 damsel. Since I started the tank I havnt cleaned
    The filter (cascade 700 canister filter). My alk is 1.6 or 1.7 can't realy see but its in between.
    My ph is 8.6 nitrate 5.0 and nitrite 0.1 , I did a small 10% water change yesterday. What
    Should I do next?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey mate, can you post up pics of your set up and a detailed list of your equipment

4. Salti

Salti Thread Starter

Only able to put pics in an album for some strange reason my blackberry would,nt
    Uplaod direct. My equipment detals are as follows: a canister filter,700 lt ph,2 wave makers 2000 lph
    And my bh 1000 reef octopus skimmer,my lights consists of 2 25watt 30” one blue night light and
    The other a 10000k both resun. That's it conna put sum pics in my album.

5. xtreme

xtreme

Do you know some one that can house your fish for 3-4 weeks?

6. xtreme

xtreme

your pH is way high, how did you get it that high?, Your Nitrates is high due to the canister filter, do you planing on just to keep fish? If you planing on keeping only fish then what is in the canister? How much do you feed, If you started your tank at that mentioned date it should have been cycled by now. do you have LR in your system? What substrate is in there?

Like Tremayn asked, a bit more info needed and may bee some pics would help.

7. Salti

Salti Thread Starter

I'm planing on live fowlr,an substract is normal crushed corral,I feed flakes twice a day
    A week ago I took a rock that was in my fresh water tank an put it into my marine tank that night
    The water got milkey but at the end of the following day it cleared again, the rock sat outside in the yard for 3
    Months or more. A nother thing is I did a water change but did nt put a wave maker or airston in
    The preperd water for 24 hours . Please help!

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

There are different types of crushed coral. Is yours fine particles of is it large bits?
    In marine tanks you have to use live rock. It is light and porous and bacteria lives in it which is vital to a marine tank. You can not use random rocks so quickly take it out as it could be leaching chemicals into the tank.. You can try uploading the pictures on photobucket as it is the preferred means on the forum :)

9. Salti

Salti Thread Starter

Its a mix between the two,ok should I clean the filter or not. Should I do a water change after I take the
    Rocks out . I just added a ph staibelaiser.how much live rock should I put in the tank once its stable its 220 lt?

10. xtreme

xtreme

Oh this is difficult, don't now really where to begin. I'm also new to marines but for FOWLR system it is suppose to be easy if you keep in parameters.

You can run FOWLR system with a canister but in your case your canister is a 700L/H and If I remember correctly only have 2 trays in it. You will be better of with a lager one with more trays, Then with a canister you have to clean the floss every week in your case with 3 fish you can go to 2 weeks. All you need in a canister is filter matting/floss and charcoal and I'm also very impressed with seachem purigen if you can add that as well. How ever, if you can fit a sump that will be more of a pleasure than work, believe me, been there done that, the canister you can then still keep and hooked it up to the sump to run your charcoal and purigen or phosphate remover so it will not be a waste.

Crushed coral I also used before, get rid of it, it looks nice in a flower pot, If you got the fine crusted coral say aboud 1-2mm size the it's ok, the lager C/Coral just build up nitrates and other stuff and your system will never be stable.

The best will be to put as much CURED LR in your DT as you can and dose once a week with MB7 or Seachem Stability.

Be care full with rock that just laid outside the garden, there can be some toxin on it, not all rocks that can work in a fresh water system will work in a marine system, salt is almost like an acid and can start to dissolve stuff on the rock or in the rock that can give you that milky water or change your water parameters, I would remove it now, and maybe put a pic on as soon as you can for the more experianced members to tell you if you can use it.

I also never used a air stone in premixed water. Only a drum with a lid and a pump and leave it over night, the pump gave of heat so my premixed water is always about 25-26 degrees

Now is a bit late. Tomorrow morning start cleaning your canister, siphon your crusted coral blow your rocks clean with an pump and do a 30% water change. If there is a local Pet shop open get some ammonia remover and bacteria for your tank.

What water do you use for your Premix?
    If you have a QT then rather fill that a 1/4 with tank water and put a heater in with a box filter with floss, put your fish in there. Make up some premix and put the can above the tank and let it fill slowly with airline tubing say about rapid drip not flow till it's full. It will be easier to care for the fish in there and feed only once a day as much as they can eat, the rest laying on the bottom you can remove. Every third day you can do a 10% water change and it should not be much.

For your tank you need to sort that out. maybe start cycling again with lights off and few more LR.

Now this said was a lot. One of the pros can help you tomorrow
    Hope everything works out for you.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  11. xtreme

xtreme

see Tremayn already helping you;)

12. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcone To MASA... Let the learning begin....:)

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

haha xtreme... I didn't really want to say this SAlti, but its best if you restart the system. Try and get a fellow reefer to keep you live stock :) and we will run you through the process :) ... We also need to know what salt are you using? Cheapo stuff or a decent brand (tetra/red sea) or a good brand such as Sea Chem? Salt is very important and you can't use the really cheap stuff.. We need pics to help you though so we can see whats going on but Xtreme already covered most of the things, but it will be much easier to do if you restarted your system

Recent Posts