whats on the menu....

Reaction score
ok so we all know that brine shrimp...artemia...mysis ..ocean nutrition flakes etc etc is probably the normal and preferred marine foods... what do you feed your fish thats not normally heard of or known of? .... as for me...besides the above mentioned foods,for many years i been feeding tetra prima..with the bigger size tin called tetra discus...yip,a freshwater food...it aint a pellet,more like a crumble ,semi sinking id say..... how about you?

heard of guys that feed their tangs bananas ... :p

broccoli, peas, peppers (all get blanched and then mashed), lettuce and orange

nice and colorful...and interesting..

yip replaces a lot of vits and nutrients that they wouldnt get other wise, i feed the pea mash 2 or 3 times a week and the rest i feed as enrichment every now and then :)

@Wesd cool.... and what fish do you have exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wesd cool.... and what fish do you have exactly?

well at the moment my tank is pretty empty (been removing fish over the last few weeks) as im planning on shutting it down so that i can upgrade to a 1.5m that was given to me, but when my tank was stocked i had : 2*yellowtailed damsels, 1*raccoon butterfly, 1*broad striped cardinal, 1*goldie, 1*cosmetus wrasse, 1*juvi goldbar wrasse, 1*spotted hawkfish and 2*juvi lunare wrasse.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok..so wasnt just tangs that enjoyed the salad...goodluck with upgrade..

thought I would contribute......

I have always had success with frozen brines with new fish that don't want to feed but brineshrimp grown up are like McDonalds so not first choice.

I hear frozen krill is the most rich food but I can't remember where I read this, either way if whales eat it.......

But my most prolific food event, 2010, my huge Malu nennie and pair of sexed clowns. They cleaned their spot and did funny things for 3 months. The day I had to get food, I bought the omega 1 something or other, sinking pellets. First feeding, 20 mins later egg laying happened.

I guess the key is variety in my experience, don't settle for a 'staple diet'

Oh and live mysid, Spectacular results with almost any fish and entertaining, also lionfish can't resist!!

thought I would contribute......

I have always had success with frozen brines with new fish that don't want to feed but brineshrimp grown up are like McDonalds so not first choice.

I hear frozen krill is the most rich food but I can't remember where I read this, either way if whales eat it.......

But my most prolific food event, 2010, my huge Malu nennie and pair of sexed clowns. They cleaned their spot and did funny things for 3 months. The day I had to get food, I bought the omega 1 something or other, sinking pellets. First feeding, 20 mins later egg laying happened.

I guess the key is variety in my experience, don't settle for a 'staple diet'

Oh and live mysid, Spectacular results with almost any fish and entertaining, also lionfish can't resist!!

What's your opinion on oceans nutrition super shrimp?

What's your opinion on oceans nutrition super shrimp?

Good question, in my opinion brineshrimp is brineshrimp, how do they enrich them? feed them something awesome? don't know but who will know is my boss, sub curator, she has a degree involving culture of planktonic foods, she will be involved here soon :)

I'm not a fish person but sinking pellets of a good brand is not a bad idea, my LPS even ate the pellets, the omega 3 stuff that is.

I still to this day do not understand flakes, like feeding ur animals rice cakes, no weight at all and gets caught in the overflow lol

I am in fact planning on using an ice cube tray, filling it with live mysid and freezing it, bang instant frozen mysids

Last edited:
Good question, in my opinion brineshrimp is brineshrimp, how do they enrich them? feed them something awesome? don't know but who will know is my boss, sub curator, she has a degree involving culture of planktonic foods, she will be involved here soon :)

There is a product called selco that has to be imported from the states that is used for artemia enrichment and then after that they can get fed rotimax and another algae produce (cant remember the name :whistling:) to further enrich them, artemia are very high in protein so with the extra enrichment they make a fairly nutritious food source for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom