What's on my Live Rock????

Papitto

PatrickF
Reaction score
I have this dark green grass looking stuff growing on my LR. What is it? Good or bad? If bad, how do I get rid of it? I haven't put any rock in my tank yet, still filling it with water. Here's a pic.

The 2nd pic, there's a strange worm looking thing in the rock. Good or bad?

IMG_20140819_122352.jpg

IMG_20140819_122524.jpg

looks more like a bristleworm

First pic is some sort of hard macro algae pretty much harmless & no fish eat it...

Second pic looks like a chiton it's ok you can leave it...

Thanks a mil MistaOrange! The algae is pulled off very easily. Was concerned it might be toxic it harvested from the rock. Would it be fine if I pull it off for my DT rock?

The chiton looks scary :eek:

looks more like a bristleworm

I agree Dallasg. So they okay in my tank?

The green algae is like grass, so that should be fine too? I have all the rock in a 70L tub with heater and pumps until my tank completes it's veeeeeeeeeeery slow journey of filling RODI water! :whistling:

they are part of the clean up crew, they are ok, if they get to plague proportions then tank needs a clean

Okay, the seasoned reefer's and the over-enthusiastic noobies will probably laugh at me with this question, but for some reason I'm extremely nervous or more so, anxious about my live rock and making sure I'm doing this right.

So I got my salinity up to 1.025 @ 33sg and temp floating around 24.5 and 25.5 on my bare tank...
I transferred all the LR into the tank last night and seem to have gone brain dead from anxiety!!!!

Please tell me what am I supposed to dop next? pics below... I'm afraid for some reason :m33:

IMG_20140825_234917.jpg

IMG_20140825_234933.jpg

IMG_20140825_234956.jpg

If you are not putting in any substrate then start scaping your rock like you want it and let your tank start to cycle.

If you are not putting in any substrate then start scaping your rock like you want it and let your tank start to cycle.

Do I need egg-crate for my scaping? I think i'm worried about the stability of the LR when scaping it. Read too many horror stories etc. I have got seafloor I will be using.

I would use egg-crate. also helps when you do gravell clean cause the is no sand under the LR, less dirt that can get trapped so easier to clean.

I don't like the idea of rock on glass.

I think as long as you don't go way over the top with scaping stability shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom