Whats Next????

Reaction score
Good Morning Gentlemen

thanx for the excellent advise so far had the tank running for about a month and running extremely well but what i wud like to ask what else i need to do for maintenance other than checking for nitrite and amonia levels.
for time being i just want to start with a minimum fowlr tank.

do i need to buy a calcium reactor or kalk stirrer now or later ? and do i need to do any other water checks and also how will i know whether my skimmer is not over or under skimming and also i've noticed the live rock which i purchased from Northlands Pets which i must mentioned are top class in service and advise have lots of tube worms and life so do i need to feed them anything or do i let nature take its course?

sorry guys for all the questions but wat i've learned to far is Look at the Pool before you jump into it!:wave2:

Hi Saravesan. I have moved your thread to the 'General Discussions'. There after you can post in the 'Sponsor Forums' for exactly what you require :)

Hello Saravesan,

CaRx and stirrers are not neccessary at the moment. Only when you start putting in LPS and SPS corals , and then it would also depend on the size tank you have. With some of the smaller tanks normally regular waterchanges will take care of the replenishment of Calcium , Iodine & trace elements

Sorry, I can't remember what size tank you have .

Your skimmer will probably not be foaming much as yet, since the bioload is low. It's not really about over or underskimming (unless your skimmer is rated too small for the tank). If you're skimming too wet , you will get a large amount of wet skimmate in the cup. If too dry , the skimmate/foam will be drier and less in quantity.

For now, just continue with your water checks .

You don't need to feed any of the lifeforms on the LR. They will sustain themselves from the rock alone at present.

To keep up with your calcium and alk demand, You can mix up kalk in your RO reservoir and hook it up to your auto top up unit. This way when evaporation takes place, you are dosing Ca, Alk and keeping your ph in check ;)
At a later stage (increased bio load), should you feel this method is not keeping up with the systems requirements. Then go ahead and invest in a calcium reactor.

To keep up with your calcium and alk demand, You can mix up kalk in your RO reservoir and hook it up to your auto top up unit. This way when evaporation takes place, you are dosing Ca, Alk and keeping your ph in check ;)
At a later stage (increased bio load), should you feel this method is not keeping up with the systems requirements. Then go ahead and invest in a calcium reactor.

thanx Mekaeel
unfortunately i dont have a ro unit so i am buying ro from the lfs and also my top up is done manually:( but for example if i had to mix maybe 5 litres of ro how much of kalk do i need to mix up

thanx Mekaeel
unfortunately i dont have a ro unit so i am buying ro from the lfs and also my top up is done manually:( but for example if i had to mix maybe 5 litres of ro how much of kalk do i need to mix up
A teaspoon of kalk should be fine. There after just allow the saturated solution to drip into tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom