What's next?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Hennie, 2 Aug 2009.

1. Hennie

Hennie

Hi Guys,
    I have had this tank going now for a week. It's a 1.2m x 0.6m x 0.45m tank with a sump the same size but 450mm high divided into 3 compartments - one with the skimmer (Reeftek TS2), one with a DSB 550mm x 450mm x 300mm high with Play pen sand 150mm deep and last the return pump (Aqua One 3200l/hr).
    Now - is the sand deep enough? Why is the water still murky? When do I install the heaters (temperature now 14°C)? When can I put in the live rock? And when do I put in the lights?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

You need to add the heaters from the start. Once you get your temp to the right level and your salinity at the right level then add the live rock, the sooner the better. You can add lights from the beggining or after your cycle is complete, its up to you. Some people like to preserve all the life forms that you might get on the live rock that require light, so this could be a reason for adding lights from the beggining. Some people don't run lights in the beggining to limit algae growth. So in the end it is really up to you. The sand bed depth is perfect at 150mm for playpen sand.

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

As for the water, it might take a while to settle, try add some filter floss to a compartment in the sump to catch anything that is floating in the water, this should help clear up the tank. Also did you wash the playpen sand before you put it in the tank..

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Hennie...Welcome to MASA...

6. Pete

Pete

Hi Hennie, firstly welcome and then to answer some of your questions. The DSB is deep enough, you can add the heaters. Now a question or two what water did you use? Have you mixed your salt in and checked the salinaty? what substrate have you got in the tank and did you rinse it very well? what power heads do you have in the tank and are the maybe blowing your substrate around? And now your last question you do not need the light while your tank goes through its cycle

7. Hennie

Hennie Thread Starter

Thanks Pete, I have used ordinary Joburg tap water, The salinty is fine and I have desolved the salt before I added it. The substrate is fine crushed coral and I don't have power heads in the tank yet

8. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome Hennie to the world of salt - try not to use tap water as it is sometimes high in phosphates in certain areas - try to use Reverse Osmosis Water (RO) as it has had the nasties taken out of it - your local pet shop that sells marine should stock it

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Can you you post a pic of your system...

10. Fishfood

Fishfood

Welcome Hennie
    Mnd123's advice not to use tapwater is very good advice.
    NEVER use tapwater - I learnt from the guys in the beginning too.
    It contains too many heavy metals and nutrients and won't be good for your livestock.
    Plus all the nutrients will make algae and diatoms grow out of control in your tank for as long as you do this - you will still have these even with RO (reverse osmosis) water in the 1st few months of your tanks life but not nearly as bad.
    Most LFS that sell marines will also be able to sell you RO water.It's really cheap at only R1/l or else you can buy your own RO unit (Waterboy is apparently the best).
    I think that VIP Northgate could be your closest store.
    They keep a huge drum of RO and premixed saltwater plus their advice (from Donovan) and livestock's really good.
    Re: lights during cycle - as Manic said if you want to preserve all the life on the live rock put them on.
    Personally I would put them on for this reason as I discovered some interesting macro algae and even some zoa polyps on my LR only after the tank had cycled - which I would have lost had the lights been off.
    Yeah you'll get algae but so what - algae can be good too - probably will remove some phosphates and be food/breeding area for some copepods which will benefit your fish later.As your tank matures the algae will dissappear as soon as it appeared.
    I've read that with the lights on your cycle will be quicker but honestly cycles seems to go at whatever pace they choose & you just have to be patient.

11. Fishfood

Fishfood

Sorry as quickly as it appeared

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome Hennie

first off .... the advice on the water is spot on !!! BUT, dont go and drain your tank and waste all that salt !!! ..... let the cycle go with the water you have !!

You need to get your heater in there asap, remember to put it in a chamber which will not get pumped dry !!

also we need some pics mate !

I am based in North Riding, you are welcome to pop round and have a look at my system and how everything fits together,..... sometime standing in front of a tank that is running helps to figure out what you want !

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Hennie. Awesome to have you on-board!

The guys have given you some great advice.

Please read as much as possible. Also ask as many questions as possible........

Good luck with the journey into marines!

14. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

15. FransSny

FransSny

Hennie, except for a warm welcome i see you got a lot of good advice already , keep asking the questions, read other threads etc, most of us started the same way and the experiences learned is helping everyone

No Brain Drain on MASA :thumbup:

16. werner5

werner5

masahello

17. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

:welcometomasa2:
    TO MASA HENNIE
    and yes the guys have given you some good advice. If you dont understand something ask questions over and over all of us have started this hobby from the bottom at some stage. Then to add something you must put the heaters in from the start and take the temperature up to 30 degree this will help to speed up the holl proses for the maturation (first 6 weeks) then take it down between 25 and 27 degree.
    GOOD LUCK WITH THIS GRATE HOBBY AND REMEMBER YOU HAVE THE SUPPORT OFMASA!!! :bigthumbup:

18. Anemone

Anemone

Salinity changes with temperature. So its important to get those heaters in and re-check your salinity.

19. coral diver

coral diver

Just out of curiosity what is the ambient temperature there and is there a season there like Summer, Fall, Winter & Spring if there is what is the Weather there now?

Due to everyone keeps saying put a heater, I only plug my heater from Winter and Spring, and Summer here right now and the normal day temp where I live is 80 degrees.

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there coral - Now we just coming out of winter but most places throughout SA go to about 15 to 25 degrees celcius during the day and can drop to about just below 0 during the night - The biggest problem is its now the windy season so depends which way the wind blows, it can bring the cold from across the country all the way to where one lives! Remember the size comparison - The whole SA is equal to maybe 1 or 2 of yours states put together! So if a cold front comes it basically affects all of us some more drastically than others and as for summer we talking averaging 25 to 40 degrees majority of SA

21. coral diver

coral diver

Thank you, I would rather ask than say something S T U P I D and offend someone, again Thanks.

Recent Posts