whats needed to start a qt

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by malooda, 28 Nov 2010.

1. malooda

malooda

hi
    what do you need to have for a qt
    do you need everyting you nedd for your main tank
    wat size must it be
    thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

You will get many different opinions here and to be honest it also has allot to do with your confidence in the quality of fish you get from your LFS. My Qt tanks are all 2 foot tanks with only a heater and a small powerhead which takes care of oxygen and water movement, but I only QT fish to get them eating and fatten them up ( most times ) but while in these QT tanks I do use copper on certain fish. But I am only able to do this because I am extremely confident of my fish and also the fish I get from select stores. With this type of setup daily water changes sometimes up to 100% are must. Then there are great big QT tanks that runn as your display tank does but they are limited in the medications which can be used in them and also the various salinity levels you are able to run. But if you are not sure of the quality of livestock you are getting then these systems are the better option as they are able to support livestock on a more long-term bases with less intervention from yourself and this is due to the increased live support these QT systems use such as Protein skimmers, UV sterilizers, Deep sand beds , Live Rock and other chemical filtration methods.

SO you need to start at the beginning when planning your QT system and the first question must be for what reason do you want to quarantine a fish and for how long, lastly how confident are you in the quality of livestock you are getting.

I also have a very sophisticated QT system which is linked to one of my display tanks but can also be run separately and then slowly linked again but to be honest I have hardly made use of it.

Trev

malooda likes this.
  4. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

id like to keep them in their for as long as possible
    i see most people keeping them in their for 8 weeks
    i also wana set up a qt that doesnt involve to much daily work

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

A simple set up could be just a heater and a normal cannister filter with bio balls etc. No substrate and a few pieces of pvc pipe for hiding spots.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Also a old stype powerhead, one that sucks water form below. Mounted on a sponge filter.

I added an ATU to make it even simpler. But that is not needed. And really small skimmer.

7. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

riaan you gotta english with me i dunno what you sayin im a newbi;)

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

[​IMG]
    Here is my QT, ok, it is only half full.
    Power head (circulation pumps) with sponge filters.
    Small skimmer in the back.
    heater
    T5 light unit
    ATU, auto top up unit hanging outside on the right.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2010
  9. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

hi guys

can you use one of those boyu 50 or 60l tanks as a qt

10. magman

magman

I use a 4ft tank, with a 3foot sump. I have the return for the sump. The sump has 2 sections, the first quarter where the water flows in, then a massive return. I found this works best as you can do big water changes with out switching the pumps off. The main tank, I have plastic pipes, that are about 150mm, some cut long, some short, some standing up, just to give the fish hiding space. I have one powerhead pointing up to add oxygen (important in a qt as most meds rob the water of oxygen). I have the sides of the main tank bloked off to stop jumpers.

I feed several times a day and siphon old food out 30 minutes after. But still rely on big water changes. You need to know excatly how many liters for dosing meds.

I have lot's of meds that I use, but mainly paraguard and cupramin. I have found cupramin is the most stable copper base med, but still paraguard is better and safer.

11. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

what if i dont use any medication and just keep the fish in a very low salinity one of the guys from dorry showed me theirs and thats how they run their one

12. magman

magman

you can, but there is many differant strains of differant diseases that are resistant to salinity changes, also fish like anthias and some wrasse can't do hypo so well.

To eradicate crypt 100% for example, only certain meds like copper work, bucket method, or letting the disease de-genrate for 11 months. These may add stress though, each to there own method, I just prefer the fish to eat in qt, then treat with meds.

13. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

ok so what do i need for my qt riaanp showed me his but that looks like 2much for me

14. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I'm using a little 40L with little cascade hang filter, a very small sun sun 2w filtration pump with rain bar for flow & a little reef octopus NS80 nano skimmer a awesome little skimmer does very well. The tank is bare bottom with 2 pieces of pvc pipe for fish to hide & do frequent water changes if using meds. simple little setup.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
  15. Falcon

Falcon

perfect...less is more so simply add some bio balls in the back and a 110mm piece of plastic pipe or two and you are sorted.dont make the qt too complicated.

remember ALOT of fish dont handle copper too well either so I would rather go with hypo salinity in the qt and treat further(with copper) if something is noticed only,just remember to acclimatise the fish VERY slowly back to tank salinity before adding to the tank

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
  16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I run into one issue on my QT. Because I do not overflow into a sump, I get muck that gathers on the surface. Need to re-thick options to create a overflow. My current solution is to use a 110mm drain pipe, short piece, standing upright, end cap at bottom, just long enough to be at water level. Cut hole in it so that the skimmer pump is inside this pipe. So that the 110mm pipe forms a overflow box. But I can see issues with auto top up not 100% correctly set, resulting in drain pipe running dry, and stuffing up the skimmer pump.

Any other ideas?

17. malooda

malooda Thread Starter

hi
    is this tank size ok to keep any fish in qt or is it to small for an angel etc
    LENGTH- 500mm
    Height- 345mm
    depth- 330mm

18. Trev

Trev

Perfect, I would not use it for a XLarge angel but a large one will be fine

19. Falcon

Falcon

fine for fish up to 10cm...it would stress a bigger fish out to be in such a small qt....so depends on what kinda fish you buying....only pygmy angels may be qt there i suggest going a bit bigger....

Last edited: 5 Feb 2011
Recent Posts