Whats MUNCHING my corals??

Reaction score
hi all,

got a big problem, as theeading says something is chowing my corals, yesterday morning i notiiced my my elegance was completely finished and it was hanging to the skeleton by a few threads and a snail all over it, i threw the snail in the sump...... i disposed of it and did a water change, now i notice on my purple encrusting monti that it has white patches all over it, what could be the cause??? could it be another snail???

Tariq its difficuilt to say without pics but elegance have a terrible survival rate and the snail was probably just eating dead or decaying tissue which is what they do. As far as the sps goes, any angels in the system?

As above, the elegance has/had a poor survival rate. How long have you had it? What are your water perams? Have you moved it recently? What other corals, especially lps, do you have in the system? Lighting?

I really dont think the 2 problems are related from a pest point of view. Possibly a water issue, Yes?

Have a look at night with a torch underneath the monti. See if you can see small (about 1mm) white nudis in the shade of the monti. They move pretty fast, so are relatively easy to spot. You could have a monti eating nudi in teh tank, these leave small dead patches or pathes in the coral too.

Whatever you do, dont bin the elegance skeliton (I hope you meant you binned the snail), just leave it in the tank where it can get some light and it will come back, even if only after about 6 months.

Also try get a pic;)

Hi Tariq - also - please post your water parameters (everything) as well? Also - have ANYTHING changed in the last few days at all that you can think off? Water temperature? pH? Alkalinity? Have you added new life-stock?
Did you perhaps have any power-failures in the past few days that could have caused ANY shock to the system? Perhaps changed a bulb (or a few) in your system?
Did a water change using NSW perhaps? Or perhaps something else could have been wrong with the RO water you might have been using and/or the salt?

You have to try and think of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!

Hope this stops soon! Good luck!
Jacques

nothing has been moved, no new stock, but i think that the decaying elegance caused a spike in my tank cause the skimmer was skimming heavily, havnt used NSW only the same RO ive used through the whole duration of having my tank, no power failures, doing my annual test tomorow

nothing has been moved, no new stock, but i think that the decaying elegance caused a spike in my tank cause the skimmer was skimming heavily, havnt used NSW only the same RO ive used through the whole duration of having my tank, no power failures, doing my annual test tomorow

Emmm? Annual test tariq?

:oops:....... my bad, what i mean is weekly, oh ya, no angels in the tank, just a bicolor blenny, 2 ocellaris clowns, a gold rimm bristle tooth, and a spotted manderine

As Neil suggested, a night vigil with a torh should discover any beasties munching your corals, nudi's sound responsible to me - or possibly a eunice worm - happy hunting.

Any brownish jelly like stuff attached to the dying decaying tissue or skeleton?

How long have you had the elegance, what is your lighting setup, what is the position of the elegance?
Did you notice that the oral disc area was swollen and tentacles relatively short during the daytime, instead of long tentacles with a flatter oral disc?

If it does turn out to be monti-eating nudi's, there's a very good treatment. It's a fish drug called Praziquantel. A fish food company called Hikari distributes it fairly worldwide as a medicine called PraziPro but the medicine is also distributed via veterinarians for pet cats and dogs. It is quite effective.

If it does turn out to be monti-eating nudi's, there's a very good treatment. It's a fish drug called Praziquantel. A fish food company called Hikari distributes it fairly worldwide as a medicine called PraziPro but the medicine is also distributed via veterinarians for pet cats and dogs. It is quite effective.

What does this treatment contain? most medications that are effective for reef probems seem to contain copper, which kills all your inverts so be careful what you use.

What does this treatment contain? most medications that are effective for reef probems seem to contain copper, which kills all your inverts so be careful what you use.

There is no copper in it. However, I PERSONALLY rarely even use "reef safe" treatments in my tanks. I pretty much always medicate everything outside the tank so great point Wee-Man....Karma to you.

There is no copper in it. However, I PERSONALLY rarely even use "reef safe" treatments in my tanks. I pretty much always medicate everything outside the tank so great point Wee-Man....Karma to you.

Thanks, kind of you to say.

Back
Top Bottom