What's covering my LiveRock?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by chas84, 21 Sep 2010.

1. chas84

chas84

Hi everyone, Please try and ID this growth on two pieces of my Live Rock (was bought as Fiji rock).

It's mostly very light to light pink, with some parts (lower down) white. Basically looks as if the rock was "dipped in melted wax". It has many tiny holes all over. Sometimes it "sheds" a very fine transparent filmy like "covering/skin". On certain of the pink parts, and after shedding the thin "film", tiny polyps appear, which are extremely light pink/white.

Furthermore, coralline or GHA doesn't seem to grow on it (only on small parts of the rock that aren't covered by this pink "growth/covering", and I doubt whether its coralline (sp?) because I have coralline elsewhere in my tank which my Urchin eats, but the Urchin doesn't touch this pink "growth/covering".

I'd really like to know what it is so that I can take proper care of it. Pics below aren't the best but if you know this "growth" you should be able to recognise it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Sep 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Achilles

Achilles

That is heliopora or blue coral as it is known from the blue skeleton,it is very hardy and is actually classed as a soft coral in spite of the hard skeleton due to it's polyps it grows under both medium and high light conditions and can take numerous flow conditions but best is medium to strong.

4. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Wow thanks Achilles for the quick reply. I've googled "heliopora" and it's very close. however, mine is pink, not blue.

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

holy crap, i might have some heliopora and just realised!!!, thanx achillies

6. Achilles

Achilles

It is a pinkish/ brown colour when alive, it is only called "Blue" coral because it's skeleton has a blue colour from salts it deposits in it

7. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Thanks Achilles - Read up about Heliopora, and I reckon my Boyu's lighting upgrade is now due... Anyone else have these?

Recent Posts