What's better?

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Hi
What's better - to leave my tank unfed for 3 days while I'm away :1: or entrust it to someone who has never kept fish?

Cheers

i think 3 days might be too long Bayls, rather get an autofeeder or TRUST someone to do it for u , even if it is just once or twice a day .

That depends whether you have an auto to up, lights on timers etc as well as the type of fish. Anthias for example require regular feeding.

But in general for 3 days you should be fine

Even though we do not want to do this to our fish - fish CAN survive (if they are fat and healthy, for two weeks without being fed.

So, I would say 3 days would be more than ample. BUT, that reminds me - going camping tomorrow until Monday. I have to put the auto-feeder on my tank.

Also bear in mind that a mature tank will have lots of food available in the forms of Algae, pods etc

Anthias loose condition very quickly if not fed. So if you do keep Anthias and have the luxury of a fish sitter, then feed.

When I went away on a 2 week holiday, I had someone feed my fish once every 3 days. It worked out just fine - even with my Anthias. Not saying it is the best thing for their health - but they will survive if well fed before.

Yip I agree with the others, don't feed. 3 days will be fine.

Rather get an auto-feeder Gaz.... MUCH MUCH safer. At least you know someone won't overfeed your tank. This is the WORST thing that can happen. IF you want someone to look after you tank - get some RO water, and have them add that to your tank every 3rd day or so - JUST the amount you tell them (you should know by now how much RO water your tank needs for topup).... THAT's ALL someone else should do when you away.....

NOTHING ELSE - it's dangerous to ask someone without the correct knowledge of your tank, to "look after the tank".....

My vote is to not feed... They should be fine if healthy. Just make sure your auto-topup is um... topped up.

Do not feed. I feed every 02nd day anyways and did so for the last year and a half, never had any problems and fish and coral use to be fine

I only fed my fish once a week or so in old tank... :p

Back
Top Bottom