what type of skimming for mostly softies and few sps

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by duanead, 5 Nov 2011.

1. duanead

duanead

Hi guys just want to know for a tank with mostly softies and few sps what type of skimming should one use dry or wet skimming?thank you

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

There is no real "right " or "wrong", some will say darker skimmate = better removal of organics , others use wet skimming as a method of water changes etc.

IMHO it is personal choice and what works best for you and your setup. I THINK that once water comes in contact with the bubbles the organics are already bound, thus irrelevant what your skimmate looks like.

I have yet to read scientific proof of which is better concerning wet vs dry skimming (maybe I havent googled enough in this regard yet :p)

If all else fails go for a middle of the road approach.....softies can thrive in high nutrient environments , SPS prefer clean water BUT still need an amount of nutrients. SPS will also be species dependant

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

as long as its getting something out and quickly.. i think the goal is achieved.. wet is more of an advantage if you are wanting to perhaps accelerate the skimming process in the event of an emergency.. but that doesnt mean its pulling any more than dry skimmate.. Dry skimming will just have less of an effect on your need for freshwater top up..

unless i have missed something...

FransSny likes this.
  5. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Thanks guys for help its my first tank I'm just affraid I'm killing my stuff etc,thanks for info

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im sure you will be fine.. good of you to ask the questions though...

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

get the best you can afford

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Wet or dry = secondary consideration. Primary = effeciency. As neither has been proven to be more effecient, does not really matter. However, having met primary consideration and invested in best you can afford, my assumption would be wet to remove compounds (mainly allelopathic) as quickly as possible. Based on stocking sps.

Recent Posts