What type of Anemone is this?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Dlaria, 5 Aug 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

What type of Anemone is this? It's tan in color with little white tips on the ends of the tenticles, yet somewhat translucent. It sure was hungry.

It hitch-hiked in with more of the live rock I got from the LFS. There are some pink mushroom coral on the LR, white sponges, and a starfish (which I killed... the starfish that is.) I felt bad about it :(, but it looked like the bad ones. It was cute.[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That looks like Aiptasia. And its is not cute. You have my blessing to kill it. Not so on the starfish (without ID)

Please check the forum on ways to kill aiptasia. If you do not kill it quickly, it will spawn.

4. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I pulled out the rock and scraped him off. I sure am glad you are there to save me! I've taken that LR piece out and isolated it until I can get to the store for some lemon juice.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And rinse the area he was attached to. Maybe now too late. :(

6. crispin

crispin

well thats a good way to propogate them:p def a good idea to search on here or ask us before doing something like that as there are many threads on how to kill aptasia and pulling it off the LR is def not one of them Im afraid. any small pices left behind tend to regrow and you end up with a population explosion, you need to direct inject them with kalkwasser or aptasiax etc

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

scraping is not so good - it usually leaves pieces that will each grow into new aiptasia.

Good

There are many other, perhaps better, methods.

* You could just burn the area using a gas lighter (or even matches).
    * You could burn the area with a magnifying glass and some sunlight.
    * You can treat the area with vinegar (but be careful to not soak the rest of the rock.
    * You can treat the area with calcium hydroxide paste (buy from a chemist - slaked lime)
    * You can treat the area with caustic soda (also bought from your chemist or supermarket) - this is perhaps the best method, but also the most dangerous to yourself, as caustic soda is pretty, well, caustic.

All the above methods will obviously work best if you removed the rock from the water and applied the treatment over an area of about 2-3 times the base of the aiptasia.

Hennie

8. Braco

Braco

Gees i am so glad that we have you guys to assist us in identifying hitch hikers...to the untrained and not so well educated in the marine trade every life form looks good...:p

9. Jeann1

Jeann1

I have a problem now, had 1 or two, should have killed them then an there.

Kill anything that looks like that, as soon s you see it. Its not a dangerous pest as such , can sting fish and inverts, its breeds liks rabbits, and before you know it, there is a zillion of them..

10. 2balive

2balive

@RiaanP , I have used Joe's Juice in the past and it seams to have worked. Easy to administer and did not have to remove the rock.

Is there is risk/downside to it? Does it get rid of it completely or could it still spawn in the period that it takes to die?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The thing is, if you almost kill it, then it will spawn.
    Chemical, I do not like to use it between zoa and button polyps. They are after all part of the same family. I dropped a bit of Aiptasia-X on a button polyp. And its good bye button. Luckily only that head.

12. 2balive

2balive

So moderation is not the way to go, big blobs at a time. Will remember about the buttons.

13. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

And I was so excited to see it eating so well...

I see I'm rated for plankton... That's probably a step above my pay grade at this point. :)

14. Nur

Nur Starz

:lol:

We are all learning new things.. some people might know more than others, but that is up to how much each individual is willing to learn..:thumbup:

Recent Posts