what to first introduce into your tank?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by B2048, 14 Sep 2010.

1. B2048

B2048

Hi all

My tank is currently cycling with the live rock and it's been four weeks. Can't say that it's all been easy - staring at the green hair algae is enough to drive anyone insane :D But anyway, patience is key.

I'm going to wait another four weeks before I introduce anything into the tank, but I just wanted to know what would be a good selection to start. The LFS has suggested some blue chromis but I'm not too certain about doing that as I read that they are schooling fish and you should keep at least six of them.

My tank is about 250L and I really want to stock lightly but varied. Any suggestions as to what I can start off with?

Thanks.

B.

PS. I have this really pretty cluster of something, the whole mass cannot be bigger than a 1cm across. Any ideas what it is?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gaboon

gaboon

Those look like zooanthids, did they come in on the liverock? conditions cant be too bad if they are open. Have you tested ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Give more info on your tank ie,. filtration, equipment, lighting etc.

When ammonia and nitrites are 0 go buy yourself a fish. How much liverock do you have? Try a percular clown or 2 as thats probably what got you into this hobby in the first place:).

Again, check your parameters first.

4. B2048

B2048 Thread Starter

Thanks, Gaboon :) The cluster did come on the live rock I purchased. At first I thought it was a sponge because it wasn't facing the light and I couldn't get a good look at it.

My nitrites tested at about 0.02mg/l, nitrates tested at about < 1mg/l, ammonia is < 0.01mg/l. I've been bad and haven't tested in about two weeks. I am doing 40 litre water changes per week. Might move it down to 20 litres per week.

I have about 18kg's of Indonesian live rock and can't see much space for more live rock in the tank. 4 T5's - two blue and two white. A rather small DSB with sugar-fine aragonite which I will bump up with some chaeto once the system is up and running properly and a Reektek Oktopus TS1 protein skimmer.

As much as I like the fish I must say that my main attraction to marine tanks is corals :D

Considering that I have had numerous crabs in the tank (about 8 that I have removed so far and 1 more left) - could I start off with some hermit crabs???

5. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

For sure I was just about suggest a clean up crew as your first additions , if its fish you after how about a midas blenny and if its coral how about zoanthids (more various colours) and some star polyps. Not sure what you would like to keep in this system.

6. ravi

ravi

hi there. best to start with a clean up crew. some hermits and snails. also research yr fish. dont add any fish that are not reef safe as corals are yr favourites. take things slow.

7. durleo

durleo

Chromis are nice starter fish but dont listen to whatever the salesperson at a LFS say - For instance - They might tell you to put in Damsels which are the devils spawn and very territorial- They look cool especially the Domino or Devil damsel. Chromis are part of the damsel family but are not fighters. You can put in clowns like False Percs or True Percs - try and stay away from tomato or maroon clowns and dont be tempted to put in an anenome cos clowns dont need them. So for starters look at Chromis-Percula clowns-prawn gobies-midas blenny-lawnmower blenny -

8. chas84

chas84

Definitely your CuC. They're full of character and generally very affordable, plus you can buy more CuC (hermits, Turbo's, etc.) sooner while cycling than fish. I've just bought two hermits and put in a handful of clean shells - it's really cute watching them change shells and then change back.

9. rakabos

rakabos

I agree with durleo...

Tomato clowns and damsels are possibly the most territorial so-called easy to keep / starter fish out there. I have had big issues with them. STAY FAR AWAY FROM DAMSELS

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

on a 250L you can start with

• Blue green Chromis (at least 4 to 5), but not a very hardy fish. But nice, schooling, not aggresive. Cheap fish.
    • Blue Yellow Tail damsel. Only 2. They are aggresive and territorial. But they stay at the bottom end of the tank and each claim about a 30cm square area to be his. Be carefull that the LFS do not give you any other blue damsels. Especially the Devil damsel. Name says it all. No yellow tail, with a black dot at the back of dorsal fin. Blue yellow tail stays small. They are hardy and IMO excellent starter fish. My oldest fish is a Blue Yellow tail. Cheap
    • Clowns, max 2 of the same type. Do not mix types, Do not add more than 2. See if you can get one that is a bit bigger than the other. More expensive than Chromis
    Do not shoot me on the "Cheap" fish comments. It is just better for a beginner to loose a R45 fish compared to a R250 fish. Or even R500. Or more, depending on how thickness of your wallet. I do not like to loose fish... or anything

11. B2048

B2048 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I am definitely thinking of the Clean Up Crew first. The Blue Green Chromis are also very attractive in a school. Maybe if I had a bigger tank I would think about getting them. Guess I will have to see how it goes :)

Clowns will definitely factor into my tank at some stage. I have some monetary considerations so will be adding things very slowly :D

12. Slummies

Slummies

something that i got told when i first started was to add a herbivores before i add carnivores. reason being is that a pods, etc will not be eaten by carnivores. pods, etc add to a tanks health. this will also help when one day you may want a mandarin.

good luck

Recent Posts