What to feed a sun coral

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some adive please. We got a sun coral a week ago. Very nice looking specimen. Had lot of polyp extension at the LFS, and when we got home, but since, very little. We have tried Coral Frenzy, target feeding, but very little response, and some frozen microplankton, also not much response.

The guys at the LFS said they use a combo of ZoPlan, Marine Snow, and something else (I forget), want to get one of them tomorrow. What are the recommendations?

Thx

Reaction score
Use the foods mentioned.

But take a lunch box size tupperware container, add tank water and food into that. Put the sun coral into the container so that it has more chance of getting the food. Leave it in for about half an hour and then return to your main tank. You can float the cpontainer on the top of your tank to keep the water temp stable.

This way you can go wild on the food without fouling the rest of your tank.

You should do this about once a week - twice being preferable ;)

Reaction score
They eat larger stuff. Mine ate cyclop-eeze as well as frozen mysid shrimp and krill

Reaction score
Thx. Will try and let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
I use frozen foods (Mysis,Marine mix etc) soaked in cyclop-eeze which I then target feed. They mostly open at night in the beginning and that is when you should target feed, but in the same breath they will open a short while after they have sensed food in the water and you can feed them then.

Reaction score
Yeah that is what I used to do. I fed the tank cyclopeeze, after about 30 minutes the sun coral's polyps would then have been extended, and then it is easy to target feed them mysid/krill.