What to do with empty 1.2

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RiaanP, 3 Jan 2011.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Leave it empty?

nope,

cycle rock --- :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Minimum equiptment.
    2 SunSuns, and one heater.
    [​IMG]

full Sun.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

and when the rock is cycled?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

well.
    Rock is not mine. Helping a friend. About 40kg will go back to his tank, I would like to keep one or 2 pieces that I like.

And the rest. I do not have space, and surely he does not have. So they will go to the for sale area most likely in March. Not know, must first get the rock back into tip top shape.

5. magman

magman

Riaan, we all know how much you love dsb's..........why not make a monster and plumb it onto your system, a nice big refugim with a dsb, or make it a cryptic zone. Think of the added volume to your current system.

If you want to cure LR, should you not add a skimmer?

6. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

Hi Riaan

Did you go back to your bigger tank ? (Did I miss the upgrade from your downgrade?):blush:

7. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

good idea if you have the spare rock laying around or either too much for your main system

8. RiaanP

it is supposed to be cured liverock. it was "cooked" for 4 months. (in dark tub with heateer and pumps). Apparantly it is phosphate loaded. So I need algae to grow to extract that excess.

Yes, still have to build another sump, and then my old 90L sump will move back to this system with TS1 skimmer. So when the algae starts to die off - one day - then there will be a skimmer.

not yet, but did move up to a 350L display. Needs sump and electrical to be sorted. Looks better. And not that cramped.
    Upgrade my Downgrade - Page 2 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Actually, I kind of enjoy the 350L the most, between the 240, 350 and 750.

thanks. Helping a friend who do not have a spare tank to sort out his rocks.

Would love to run this 1.2 as complete system one day. Got everything to be able to do that, only need 2 new balasts for light unit.

9. RiaanP

End of week one.
    Some green fuzzy stuff starting....
    [​IMG]

10. Sentari

Sentari

Riaan can you maybe explain the theory behind allowing algae to grow on the rocks after theyve been cooked?

also how would you have found out that the rocks have leached phosphates?

I think this happens to alot of people would be nice to see what you theory behind this is.

11. RiaanP

Rocks were cooked.

But if they can in one week show algae growth, where we in Gauteng had not a single day yet without rain and more rain. Then surely these rocks will have algae growth under strong aquarium lightning. And the sun only gets to the tank from 9:00 to 15:00. So about 6 hours natural sunlight. That is inluding days like today where we actually had England weather.

So yes, after one week, and no feeding or bioload or whatever. And algae can start growing, there surely must be something in the rock for them.

Another point. If algae can grow, it just proofs that "cooking" the rock does not work. Algae dies off, but their food stays in the rock. So there goes another theory out the back door.

12. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

13. Sentari

Sentari

But how are you going to take the phosphates out? I've realised that with cooking rocks you need to change the water. You also need to shake the rocks out cause some rocks are very porous. I've noticed this with some of my rock. Dirty water coming out when i remove the rocks to move them to another bin.

14. Trev

Trev

Sent algea uses Po4 as a food source

15. RiaanP

this experiment is completely stuffed up. oops
    but more on that a bit later.

Phosphates can only be taken out by using it. Either by a phosphate reactor, or by algae using the phosphate.

So let the algae grow, the algae use the phosphate, and the algae die :thumbup:
    then in a perfect world, we got a perfect tank.

16. RiaanP

[​IMG]

excuse the softies, will be explained later.
    Added plastic sump with ts2 skimmer. more to follow...

17. Sentari

Sentari

So how you going to get the algae to die? phos remover skimming etc?

18. RiaanP

Month end I will add a phosphate reactor. First need to get all that softies out of this tank.
    Algae and diatoms should just outcompete themselves for available food until there are none left.
    I added 5 hermits. Not enough, will take out some more from my display tank.

19. RiaanP

Tank is overrun with cayno. So bad, that the cayno on the glass prevents you to see the rock. Bottom halve of the tank is just red.... Too embarrassing to post a pic.

Monday night I added some anti-red product. Last night did the recommended 20% water change.

Also, did a phosphate and nitrate test, before the water change. To see the worst case.

And both are ZERO :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    And so far, no green hairy algae. And tank is running tomorrow for 4 weeks. so it does seems that cooking the rock does help to remove embedded phosphates.

Also, the anti red stuff seems to be working. There was no more cayno on the softies inside the tank. Only some on the glass. And the worst red is gone, maybe I just need another round this weekend to fully clear the cayno.

Sunday, will post an updated pic.

20. Sentari

Sentari

Cyno's taking up the nitrates and phosphates. I'm 100% sure of this. Once you get rid of the cyno. you will see the algae bloom like crazy until you come to a common ground. I've noticed this over years with my tank.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2011
  21. RiaanP

yip, can be.
    I stuffed up this experiment a bit by placing loads of softies in there. Keeping them for Moolis until he sorts out his shop. The cayno started when I added the softies. Might be coincidence, maybe not. There are some softies, more the leathers that is not going to make it. Some already said bye-bye. Obviously due to the pollution that ended up in their display tank and the softies sat in there until late afternoon.

But I got some other softies in another 90L tank. No live rock (well only the pieces the softies are attached to), water from my display tank water change. And there I also have a cayno issue. Not as bad as in the 1.2, but yes, its there. Cannot push the flow up, as it is mostly mushrooms and they do not like hectic flows. So my conclusion is that the cayno outbreak is because of the softies that came from Moolis.

Recent Posts