What to do when the pests are gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by 459b, 7 Nov 2014.

1. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Most of us have had to deal with pests at some point. To rid our tanks of said nuisance, we often add a predator of sorts, be it filefish, wrasse, peppermint shrimp etc.
    Should we remove the predator when its done its job? There a lot of For Sale threads with filefish that have done there job, but is that wise?

I had aiptasia. So many that formed dense zoa-like mats on parts of my rockwork. I added a filefish and in a few months they were gone. I left the filefish in the tank mainly because its impossible to catch. A good six months have passed of having an aiptasia free tank until last night, when i noticed one popping up in a crevice. On closer inspection i counted three. Will our tanks ever truly be pest free?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

The problem with filefish is that they are not all reef safe. First one I had was reef safe didn't touch anything except aptasia, the second one I had decided after taking out aptasia my zoa's were very tasty.

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I see no issue with pests, its part of the ecosystem and doesnt bother me. I do remove algae as its an eye-sore and if it grows on corals. I have tons of asterina stars etc and leave them be, but dont mistake it as lack of husbandry but rather the management of pests

5. rakabos

rakabos

The worst kind of reefer is the perfectionist. The reason is you will NEVER have things exactly how you want them. The sooner you make your peace with this the better. Just let things be and keep the glass clean.

6. Jason

Jason

I have tons of Asterina Stars also, i let them be, they not bothering any of my corals that i have noticed...

I have 1 aptasia starting again after i nuked them with Lemon Juice, im getting a Peppermint shrimp over the weekend and luckily they are scavengers so it will survive after there is no aptasia...

7. rakabos

rakabos

For those looking to rid themselves of aiptasia, i think i have the answer finally. If its small enough just putty them up! Literally stick putty over it once its retracted. Bye bye

Last edited: 7 Nov 2014
  8. Jason

Jason

I did that with one when i glued a frag to the rock...

I might be able to putty the one up as its sitting in a hole...

9. 459b

459b Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Mine likes frogspawn...but only if i forget to feed it.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depends if its a specialized feeder or not.

I got a pair of Harlequin shrimp to take care of my asterina explosion. So many that they actually were able to eat up my nice size cheato ball.

I did sell them for a fair price to the next reefer who could look after them.

Same with Sea Hares.

All specialized feeders, as long as they get passed on to the next reefer who have enough food for it to survive, I do not see a problem with it either.

Other predators that can eat other food, depends on the reefer.
    I had an aiptasia file fish for 2 years (or maybe longer). Model citizen. In my display and did not touch any other corals.

I do have a small one now, not yet 100% sure if he is reef safe. There was an aiptasia within a zoa frag colony, he took care of just the aiptasia. He is traveling around, already cleaned out 3 other guys systems.
    @Gesiggie, @blackghostknife and @Gandalf
    all happy customers

Last edited: 7 Nov 2014
  11. 4age

4age

aptasia don't need light to survive so they can be in crevices out of reach of predators until the predator is removed and then they make a return..i always have a peppermint shrimp in my tank..had goodluck with them removing aptasia

12. Krappie

Krappie

What shrimp or fish would you guys suggest for whitespot? Ive had a cleaner wrasse. But they are hard to keep. Now i have a green wrasse, but they dont eat whitespot.. and medication is not effective. I have dosed my tank and 2 months later it just came back. Didn't change anything to the tank in between. Soooo i think i need something that will eat the whitespot but will still survive after the whitespot might be finish. Any suggestions?

13. Carcharias

Carcharias

@Krappie. I have found that if I keep my tanks temp at 27 I never have white spot problems.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

@Krappie nothing eats whitespot when you see the whitespots on your fish thats the finally stage of it before it falls off and starts over again. Best thing to do it keep your fish happy by boosting there immune system by soaking food for a few hours prior to feeding with a vitamin ie. Seachems Vitality and garlic. If whitespots in your DT is in there you always gonna have it its like a flu virus for humans boost immunity you wont get it. @Carcharias all you doing is speeding up the whitespot life cycle your tank still has it and your fish also might not be getting it coz there immune system is strong.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Whitespot? Quarantine, treat with paragauard or cupramine. Get a VERY good UV system with proper flow dynamics. Shrimps don't really eat WS, they clean fish of dead scales, help in fluke management. If you have WS, it's there forever, even if you fish recover, it will always be there. They eventually become immune to it, but add a new fish and they will get WS. Stress will also lead to WS, releasing cortisol and lowering immunity. That is why, powder blues and most tangs get it, they stress alot.

16. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Peppermint shrimp:thumbup1:

17. tobiejvr

tobiejvr

Riaan, can you please post a pic of your aptaisia eating filefish?

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is not an easy thing to do.

Had to catch one and then took his or her mugshot.

[​IMG]

This is the smaller one of the 2. Still very small.

wookie likes this.
  19. tobiejvr

tobiejvr

rRian. hank you for all your trouble!!! Can you catch these in KZN ocean? I caught one before but cant say if it was the right Aiptasia eater!

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

We have a very similar species. Not sure if ours also eat Aiptasia.

Maybe @Lord_Blackadder can help out.

Recent Posts