what to add mmmmmm.....

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by makharold, 26 Jun 2014.

1. makharold

makharold

So I'm wondering what I can add to my water to make it even better maybe kalk ,I've been told to try seachem reef fusion 1 and 2 .
    here's my story I don't have any test kits and don't test my water I do a 20l weekly or every second week water change I have a bubblemagus curve5 skimmer and a reactor with carbon mixed with white phosphate removing stone (forget what there called ) and a refugium with cheto that's it .livestock is as follows 2tomato clown 1 green chromis 1 blemie Id unknown and a cbs as for corals I have mixed shrooms ,pin cushion ,mixed zoas ,bta ,Kenya trees ,pulsating xenia ,gsp,hammer,piece of monti .
    Only thing I monitor is temperature
    Every think seems happy but I know they can be happier and I don't have lots of buxs to spend any advise :1:[​IMG]

Old pic of the sump looks the same but has more cheto now

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Other than keeping up with water changes, I would not advise adding anything until you have bought some test kits. Alkalinity would be a good start, followed by nitrate.
    One you have these, read up on their ideal values, and dose products for alk and employ a nitrate removal strategy as needed.
    Are you making use of an auto top up? How are you replacing evaporated water?
    Kalk is a good idea, but proceed with caution and if you dont have a large alkalinity consumption, a very week solution (1teaspoon per ten litres of RO in topup container) should suffice to maintain alkalinity.
    Resist the temptation to make your water "better"," until you really know where when and how to make it better. As mentioned, keep up with water changes, 10% per week and you should have great water for now.
    Replace carbon regularly, as well as the phosphate media.

4. makharold

makharold Thread Starter

Shot man makes sense so alk and nitrate test kit first thing ,could u suggest a nitrate removing plan of action for me .
    Oh and I top up by hand morning and night with ro from the Petshop that I test with a tds meter (from my other hobbie lol) reads 4 ppm or tds

5. irie ivan

Before employing a strategy beyond growing chaeto, and regular water changes, 1st determine whether it is needed.
    Should you have nitrate, the method I recommend is ORCA biocubes; available from a few sponsors and LFS. Alternatively, use vodka or vinegar dosing or a remote deep sand bed.
    Invest in an auto top up unit, speak to André from reef aquatics, they have what seems to be nive units available coming in a a real budget price. Just check with him if the budget units can be run with kalk, as it might clog due to kalk pricipitates.
    Once you have an auto top up, and have it set to fill slowly, consider a dilute kalk mix with RO. See if it maintains a stable alk.

6. makharold

makharold Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise I'll set out to do the above mentioned . seems obvious now that to improve my water I'll actually need to know what's in it so I found this chart think I'll try testing my water N and alk first then proceed with a plan of action [​IMG]

7. irie ivan

Good chart, just have to mention that 1.025 and 1.026 refers to specific gravity and not salinity.... Related, but not the same thing.... Rather measure salinity with an auto temperature compensated refractometer, aim for a value of 34-35ppt :)

8. makharold

makharold Thread Starter

Ok cool thanks alot man I really appreciate your response ,I'll have to save a bit of cash these things arnt cheep

9. makharold

makharold Thread Starter

@irie ivan so I added some seachem denitrate and some activated carbon to a fluidiser I have ,do u know if this is any good ?,here's a pick of my sump and filtration ,I had bio balls in the first compartment but they just seem to trap dirt so I removed them .does this look adequate for my setup? +-140L I think or would u suggest I do otherwise [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. makharold

makharold Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Posts