What thickness glass to use?

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by inflames, 18 Sep 2009.

1. inflames

inflames

Hi Guys and Gals,

ANy input to this question would be appreciated!:razz:...

As always we are planning out next BIGGER tank...so..

I would like 160cm x 60cm x 60 cm. I have used the glass Calculator and it recons that I use 12mm for sides and 16 mm for the base! But, due to cost. I am thinking 8mm sides and 12mm base. This gives me a safety factor of 2.1 (sides) and 2.7 (Base), not the 3.8!

My Question is this: I currently have a standard 4 foot (120cm x 45cm x 45cm) 6mm sides and 8mm Base. If I put these dimentions and thickness I get a safety factor of 2.2( for both). But I have had this tank for probably 10 years and no signs of breaking what so ever!! So the proof is in the pudding!!:yeahdude:

So if I go the cheaper option and use top bracing and base bracing, what do you guys think? I am not sure if the calculator takes bracing into account!

Any thoughts would be welcomed! Thanks:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

My si foot tank is 12mm all round with no problems but its braced at the base and top

4. Hermanus

Hermanus

My 6 foot is 10mm glass sides and bottom, bracing all around.

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

the biggest safety factor to consider is the stand.
    does it flex? is it a solid base?
    make a good level stand that can support the base 100% and not sway or flex under pressure and the factor of 2.2 etc will be good.

I have the same size 4ft made from 6mm and a 1800mmx 500 x 650mm made from 10mm and both have very stable stands. i also have a wood base with polystyrene underneath and no issues.

i also believe the most important brace in a dual center brace and it stops the bowing of the large panes of glass, the sides of the tank provide enuff support for the front and back.

based on my exprience

6. lIghty

lIghty

I would take a chance and go 10 all round, 8 I think is cutting it too fine, all you need is a rock to fall and boom!

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

10mm all round will be sufficient provided it is braced properly..

8. toppdogg

toppdogg

inflames my tank is 1600 x 700 x 600 and went with 10 mm
    and probs so far
    aslong as you brace properly like above have mentioned
    good luck

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

It does not.

Consider your total investment - are you going to skimp on your lights, pumps and live rock as well? If not, then why do you want to skimp on the single most important thing you need to keep an aquarium (the aquarium itself...). How will you feel if it breaks after (say) 5 years of coral and fish growth, and you lose all your live stock. How much will it cost you to replace your carpets and other furniture ruined by the salt water?

The safety factor is there for a reason - has your current smaller tank been bumped during the past 10 years? Have you had any earth tremors during that time? Have you had a pile of live rock in that tank for that time, and/or had any of the rock fall against a side or bottom pane due to whatever reason? Accidents DO happen, and if the glass is not strong enough it won't survive...

You can probably get away for some time with an under-designed structure - it just depends on how lucky you are :whistling:

Hennie

Recent Posts