What the f%$#

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by johannes rall, 22 Jan 2012.

1. johannes rall

johannes rall

Ok now Im totally dumbstruck.Im either losing:rofl: it or I must stop this hobby right now:unhappy:.I did a water change of a 100L for a +_250L tank and just for the fun did a water test aswell ammonia is 0(AS PER COLOUR CHART) but no2 and no3 is high.Its nsw am I LOSING IT OR WHAT THE F%$# IS HAPPENIG :confused1:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexotic

Dexotic

What was the No2 and No3 before the water change? and how old is the test kit?

Second is do the test again and double check the results as sometimes the vials are dirty with old test water or something so clean them with RO or distilled water and that way you will get a proper reading

erratiC likes this.
  4. johannes rall

johannes rall Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Im using this test kit.The no2 andno3 was high aswell as the ammonia but its ok now.Did a second test same result.Im so sick of this sh#$ just cannot do it right

5. Dexotic

Dexotic

take a water sample to one of your LFS and get them to test it but just check that they are using a good quality test kit just to double check your readings. it could be possible that when the water was added back into the take it could have stirred up alot of detrites and cause the spike to be on the reading or even if you tested shortly after feeding it can give you a false reading

6. johannes rall

I know the one lfs uses the easy test kit from I think tetra and the other one uses the strips not sure what make.will give it a day or so then test it again.thanks

7. Dexotic

Dexotic

i would not rely on test results from the strips as they are in accurate due to humidity in the air it contaminates the readings. give one of the sponsors a call and ask them as to which tests they are using and wat they say about the results

8. lIghty

lIghty

Johannes,

Firstly, this is the 3 thread within a week that you have created on the exact same subject, perhaps using the same thread would help users give you the best advise, as they would know all the previous info/advise.

@viper357 perhaps you could tidy up? :)
    Is this params fatally high? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    ammonia,no2,no3 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Secondly, as I already advised, DON'T TRUST the results of that kit for Nh3/nh4 and No2! Do yourself a favour and test it with "known water quality" water, it will still show readings for the above.

Either get yourself the new Redsea test kits (which I believe are good) or a another make, perhaps a Salifert kit, as they are decent at a reasonable price.

I'm sure this will help your frustrations!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    Keanan likes this.
  9. johannes rall

Im sorry if this looks like im creating threads thats the same but its not my intention.This thread is about the water of the tank after a water change and its still high did not know it comes down to the same thread as the others.And as I did asked in the other thread how the old one looked like and got no replay I was thinking it must be the new one.

In future I will make sure not to post the same thread again:whistling:

Last edited: 22 Jan 2012
  10. mandarinman

mandarinman

how long was the nsw in drum bwfore adding to tank.? how old is tank? what new liverock have you addwd to tank? when last did you do a waterchange? did you test the perameters of water in drums before using for waterchange? where did you get nsw?what filtration system have you got in tanl? what livestock?how much are you feeding them and what? when last did you add new livedtock and what? did you increase feeding to accommodate new fish?did you rinse out containers before putting nsw in them? havou lost any livestock in tank recently ?when did you astounded add liverock and how much?

11. johannes rall

Ok firstly the nsw was in containers for about an hour it took from beach to my house.Tanks been running for 7 months.no new lr added.did waterchange on monday and then today.did not test water in drums and got water from beach.The only filtration in tank is dsb in sump with a skimmer in sump.Thers ascopa ,2 chromises,2 butterflys ,a convict and a brown sugeon in tank the 2 butterflys,convict and brown surgeon was added aweek back.I fed it twice a day but only feed once now.The LR is about 7months in tank and is about 16 kg of liverock.Lost 2 shrimps 5 weeks back but the water tested ok after that

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

when you say lost. is it lost as in gone or that they just died and you removed them

13. johannes rall

O SH$#.Come to think of it I only got the one out of the tank the other one was missing.I thought one of the fish ate it and totally forgot about it.I think that may be the reason why params is high.Now for the question if I go and look for it the moving of the rocks wil release more toxins in the water not true or what should I do?:blush:

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

just do more regular water changes for a while

15. johannes rall

Will do another water change on wednesday and the on sunday and so on.Have to do it dont want to loose any fish.JEEZ IM A REAL CHOP.Can kick my self:blush::blush:

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

I just hope that that is the cause of your high nitrates. I would consider running purigen

17. saaid

saaid

I think you should let your tank settle for a week or so before you change water again as you have already cleared up the ammonia levels and doing too much at once. The nitrates you can bring down gradually.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the temperature difference between the sea water and your tank? Seeing you are in PE, I doubt the sea is around 25.

And a picture says a thousand words. 16kg live rock sounds like not a lot. For a 250L tank. Liverock will not be able to provide enough filtration. Also show the substrate you have.

19. johannes rall

I have live sand in dt as substrate(seasand) and sea temp in P.E. is around 23,24c the differense between sea and tank is about 3c

Last edited: 24 Jan 2012
  20. johannes rall

So what would you guys say do another water change tommorow or wait a few days more and if I want to put in more liverock can I just put it into tank or in a bucket to cure or what should I do.No pic cam f$#^ed

21. Dlaria

Dlaria

I think if you put LR into a bucket to cure, you probably want to run an airstone or power head in there; to keep the water circulating? I may be wrong.

Recent Posts