What Skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Armik, 8 Oct 2007.

1. Armik

Armik

Going to be starting my new system soon and was wondering what skimmer to use, i am going to be starting a fish only in the beginning and then move over to a reef system, at the moment i need a system that is fairly low maintenance.
    The system will be about the 500l total volume. I see there are suddenly far more skimmers to choose from compared to 5yrs ago.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Afsal

Afsal

reektek t2 comes to mind. contact our sponsor andrew of eco aquatics ... and welcome to the forum

4. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Yes, the general feeling is that the reeftek skimmers are the best value for money.

5. Copperband

Copperband

Armik, welcome to MASA.

Look at the Reef Octo DNW 150 and yes speak to Eco Aquatics for possibly the best Reef Octo prices around..

6. Galibore

Damn Copper,

I crack up every time I read your signature.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Armik - if I may add to Afsal and Galibore's responses - and my thoughts about this are well known :)

I think that you should try and buy the "best" skimmer that you can afford. Yes, I agree with the ReefTek's - they seem to be very popular currently...

BUT, try and get prices first, and don't just listen to any LFS suggestions.... Get as much information as possible, and then make an informed decision. It seems to me that buying a skimmer is the BIGGEST decision you will most likely make in your reefkeeping adventure......

You will always be grilled/questioned/asked if about your skimmer....

The point of skimmers are: to extract as much possible muck (DOCs) from the water before it causes any possible nutrient spikes in your tank (excess nitrates/phosphates, etc)....

The thing about skimmers are, they allow one to feed more carelessly, as the skimmer seems to be the "backup plan" - i.e. The skimmer is always there - it will take care of it....

So - think hard about which one you want to get - and YES - get one that's rated for at least two to three times the amount of litres of water your complete system contains...... and if possible, try and have a bigger pump fitted to the skimmer - in reading a LOT about this, talking to LFS's and getting their advice, and making a lot of my own mistakes, I have noticed that everyone always end up putting a stronger pump on the skimmer, than the one that is suggested on the box.....

The bigger the pump, the stronger it can suck air to mix with the water to make the correct water/air bubble mix....

Then there are other things to take into consideration:
    - how much space do you have available for your skimmer
    - do you want to put the skimmer inside your sump, or outside of your sump?
    - what life-stock do you have, and are you planning to keep in future?
    - how much money do you have available? (the ReefTek TS-2's and TS-3's range in the R2000 to R2800 range - skimmers can be MUCH more expensive).....

There are a few people out there that have decided to "DIY" (build their own) skimmers.....

Others buy second hand skimmers......

Cheers!

8. Copperband

Copperband

Gali you welcome..btw why didn't you attend the Gauteng New Marine Club for the Prevention of Candice testing the other Sunday??

Jacques, great reply.. your fingers ok?

9. Galibore

:lol: WTF?

I forgot about it. Lame excuse I know, but I went through a shoulder op during the week and went through hell. Plus other things kept my mind too busy.

10. Galibore

To get this thread back on track; Armik, the Reef Octopus and the Reeftek are the same skimmers AFAIK. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

11. Copperband

Copperband

you not wrong. some product just the branding changed

12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

They are the same just Reeftek is the in-sump one. Well that is what it looks like.

13. Galibore

I do believe they (reeftek) have the external ons as well.

14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Ok.

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

The Reeftek and Reef Octopus skimmers are slightly different in design, but both excellent skimmers for the money, I went through 4 skimmers before I eventually bought a Reeftek, it was an expensive learning exercise, but what I learned was that don't try and save money on a skimmer in the beginning, for the amount of money I spent on my 4 older skimmers I could have bought lots of other things.

You could also really splash out and maybe buy an H & S Skimmer or Bubble Master, these are great skimmers but very expensive.

Personally I would recommend a Reeftek TS2 for an insump skimmer.

16. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Reeftek and Octo skimmers are both good skimmers although i have to still try out the reeftek, octo do make an insump skimmer but for some reason the reeftek skimmers are sold as the insump skimmers here and the octo is sold as the recirculating skimmer. Here is the octo web site to browse through. http://www.proteinskimmer.com.cn/c/cn/product.asp

17. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan

Actual TANK volume?

What is your tank volume (excl sump)?

NETT, after you deduct for substrate, rock, and actual water depth?

Do you foresee, a moderate amt of fish?

Maybe, abit more/less than usual recommendations?

THEN we can gauge ALL of the skimmer options open to you...keeping in mind your future reefkeeping aims

HTH

18. millepora

millepora

Some great advice and suggestions here.:whistling:

Maybe I can clear up a few things with regards to the ReefTek and Reef Octopus skimmers.
    Firstly they are manufactured by the same company, which is called Reef Octopus. We used to get the in-sump and external Reef Octopus skimmers until the manufacture designed a new style of in-sump skimmer just over a year ago. After testing we were told that the new in-sump skimmer performed better than their old in-sump skimmers, so it was decided that we will get the Reef Octopus external skimmers and for in-sump models we will get the new style of skimmers. They even asked us to give it a name, as we (S.A.) would be the first country to receive them. Myself, Scott and Marco finally agreed to call it ReefTek. Although I am a little sorry I didn’t stick with my first choice of Mermaid skimmers.
    And there you have it, hope that clears up some things.
    Cheers
    Andrew

19. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Hi mille, so you guys in SA have some say about the skimmers. Can't you suggest them to change the ball valve. It whould be nice to have something with a bit more control.

20. Armik

Armik Thread Starter

Thank you for all the info, will do some research today. One question, i know in years gone past it was advised that we halve the skimmer rating, does that still apply with the new skimmers on the market?

21. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Armik/and others.... had a chat to Liaquat (ObiWan) yesterday.... I am now getting a ReefOctopus skimmer from him to ADD to my array of skimmers (I might take out the WeiPro SA-2013 to use in my future 300l FOWLR tank) once the ReefOctopus have starting to work decently.... Thanks Liaquat for this....

Armik - as I said previously - try and get the best skimmer you can afford at the time..... no use having to rob a bank to get one, but perhaps not the best idea to skimp on the skimmer, IF you have the money available....

Recent Posts