What size Skimmer?

JDV

Reaction score
Hi all

I have done a bit of reading and ended finding a lot of conflicting stories.
I am in the process of getting everything together for my new build.

I am trying to find out what size skimmer I need. I know the rule says double the water volume but then
the are sites that says different.

The plan is to go fish only maybe a few easy corals. The total water volume water is around 306L (DT and Sump). I expect it to be around +- 250L
after Live rock and aragonite.

So now the question what size skimmer should I look at?

Reaction score
A skimmer rated for larger than your tank volume and the biggest one u can afford.

I’ve got a one rated for more than double my tank volume, and it has saved me numerous time as I have kids who are continuously messing with the tank. I’ve also never had algae issues

Reaction score
difficult Q

back in the old days: we always said bigger the better as we battled with high nutrient levels in the SPS systems

Now with all the tech available for nutrient export, we battle with low nutrient levels.

i would say go with a skimmer rated for 100-150% water volume.......

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Personally I would only get a skimmer rather 30% higher than total rating rite now, simply because of the carbon sorce dosing, but 1:1 ratio otherwise, I always loved big skimmers but I saw how quickly they depelted nutrients especially once couples with carbon sorce dosing programmes.

Reaction score
its strange how 15 yrs ago we would never have dreamt that we would battle with too low nutrients

Reaction score
Even with all the tech available I couldn't keep my nutrients at the lower end of the scale. My nitrate was always in the region of 50. And my skimmer is rated twice my tank volume. I only started to win the battle ever since I moved over to a sulphur reactor and manual dosing of lanthanum chloride.