Urgent help needed What size QT do I need?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Keanan, 28 Feb 2012.

1. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi guys and girls

The last few days I've seen my fish die 1 by 1.:( About 2 weeks ago I lost my blond naso, Sunday my bicolor blenny, today my little dwarf lion. This all started about 3 weeks ago when I introduced 6 fish, (5 of that fish came from the same tank) which I believe to have brought a disease into my tank.

I lost those 6 fish a few days later, ever since then my fish had WS or showed symptoms, my naso didnt show any symptoms but was not eating(this fish was greedy as hell, even ate sand and shit it out again) and was just staying in one spot. While I was doing a WC(busy taking out water) the naso died. This was very sad for me as it was one of my fav fish and 1 of the reasons I started marines. The weekend past I noticed the same thing with my bicolor blenny and Sunday I came home and found it dead.
    Today another sad day, I came home and found my little lion dead and all that was left was its carcass. This was the last straw for me and really make me want to just give up. The little lion was the main reason I started marines. But it is pointless for me to give up now as I have just spent more money on a new skimmer.

I was just told that I cant setup another tank in the kitchen which is really the only place where I can.
    I have 11 fish, scopas tang, lamarcks angel, a tiny picasso trigger, a long nose hawk and the rest are fish that stays small.
    What size QT should I get for my fish? And how long should I quarantine for. And with what? I was told that it could be WS, it might be oodium or brook.

Please help, I dont want to loose anymore fish, my fish are all scratching agains the glass, rocks and sand, and my hawk fish already stopped eating since the weekend and I really dont want to loose him too. This morning my midas blenny wasnt looking too lekker either but he seem fine now.

Thanks

Last edited: 28 Feb 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

For all 11 fish to be quarantined in the same tank I would say you need at least a 3ft tank. Yes its not the recommended size for the fish but this is quarantine after all. With it being a very high bioload on the tank you will have to do a lot of water changes. and keep dosing stuff like stability to neutralize the ammonia and nitrite.

I have never done copper treatment but I am sure many will advise to go this route if you truly want to get rid of the spot. I have always done the bucket method using hypo salinity. Doing 100% waterchanges per day. But then of course its only a small 20L tank so thats not an issue.

Period wise I would say 6 weeks.

Hope your fish pull through.

4. Keanan

Keanan Thread Starter 2time

Thanks marius. I was thinking of getting a 4ft one time but the only place for it is in the kitchen and I was told no more tanks there. So will see where I can squeeze in a 3ft or maybe a 4ft.

I want to rid my fish and DT of any disease once and for all and will def quarantine every new fish I get, thats if I can find place for one.

How long should the DT run for any disease or parasites to die off? Is there any other thing I need to do to the DT once the fish are out?

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

From my understanding, you need to run the tank fallow for at least 6 weeks.

Sorry to hear of all the problems.

6. Keanan

Yeah and just when I thought everything's coming along nicely.

I have a spare 76L*40W*46H aqua h2o tank. Can I use this or is it too small?

7. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry to hear bud , really sad and disheartning to see this happening before your eyes.

A concern from my point of view is the Lion dying , (although you say it was small , I have never had one go because of WS), so just asking if you are sure about the diagnosis.

The advice regarding tank size seems good , just remember you would have to do hectic ( I would not go less than 25 % daily via syphon to remove fallen cysts).

As for treatment , I am all for keeping fish as "relaxed" as possible , so I would go with Herbtana too boost the immune system and expell the parasite , coupled with a vitamin supplement to the food

Good luck , keep us posted

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sorry for your losses :(

9. Keanan

@FransSny, it really is hey. For that exact reason I was told it cant be WS, that the lion couldn't of died of WS. Was told it could be oodium or brook. If brook, wouldnt all of my fish be dead already?
    The weird thing with the lion is that he was eating last night still and was fine this morning(laying against the silicone like he always does before/when/after lights out.) And he was a keeper, was no bigger than a R5 coin and was already taking flakes.

The thing with Herbtana is that I've never had any luck with it, it just made thing worst, maybe I had a bad batch.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Keanan

Thanks @Tobes, it really sucks to think that a nice peaceful system could have gone south just like that.

11. Keanan

Could I use this tank for all my fish? If its not too small, then I can get it up ASAP.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Read this first.
    Bucket method. No point in moving the fish with disease to a QT system.
    Bucket Method Quarantine - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Then you need to keep the fish in a system for another 5 weeks.

Without hiding spots, or places to claim as territory, you can keep more fish together. But beware of power cuts. And need to do frequent water changes.

The Aqua H2O tank can work

13. Keanan

Hi @RiaanP, I was hoping you too would come along.
    There is a big chance of it not being WS, as @fransny mentioned with the lion fish and I was told this today as well.
    I forgot to add that the bicolor blenny had a thinkish slime coat when I took him out the tank and had cloudy eyes. The same with my midas blenny this morning the eyes were cloudy but when I got home the fish was fine. Was told thats more reason for it not to be WS.
    Is this true?

Also wouldn't it be easier to put them in a QT then to do the bucket method with all the fish?

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you put any sick fish in your QT, with any disease that is in a cycle like white spot. Then you only spread it to that tank as well. If the disease can do its normal life cycle, then it will stay. so for whitespot, I would rather bucket the fish to get rid of the whitespot, then I would move them to the QT.

Ask @Achilles he is very good on fish health.

And as they say, I picture says a thousand words.

15. magman

magman

if you going put them in qt, then I would do it as soon as possible, as every minute wasted, a fish could get worse,

I would use a big a tank as possible, that your budget will allow, remember the fish are already stressed.
    I prefer cupramine, but other guys don't, maybe put them in qt and run them in hypo, don't ever mix hypo and medications as the salinity's change the ph, and strength of the meds,
    also remember what you see on the fish, does not reflect the condition of the gills, where most infections attack the worst.

16. Keanan

Just waiting for @Achilles to come online.
    Cool, thought I could just treat them in the QT.
    I will get a pic tomorrow, I cant really see any spot on the fish except for the two clowns but the fish are scratching against the glass, sand and rocks.
    Will read the bucket method thread again and get some more buckets.

17. Keanan

The thing is that budget isnt the problem for the QT but space is.
    I suspect that how my naso went, couldnt see anything on it, was told it probably attacked the gills.

I was told to dip them in cupramine.

18. magman

magman

cupramine is not a bath medicine, it is more a long term treatment, where once you start, you should not stop. Maybe you can bath in paraguard, it is a good medicine because it only stays in the water 24hours

19. Achilles

Achilles

if space is the issue and you cant do the bucket method then you need to Do hyposalinity in Q tank however this will probably need other items like prime and stability or some bacteria that will eat up the ammonia in the Q tank while you go through 2 months of hypo in a q tank.

The main display needs to be free of fish for 2months or you will be bucketing fish and just returning them to an infected display, i recommend the bucket method more for new fish being quarantined than treating an outbreak of disease in a main display.

Also something is making your fish weak what is the water parameters like strong fish can fight off whitespot but not if they swimming in bad water or unstable parameters especially temp swings also it may not be just whitespot even though that is what you can identify so alot of factors come into play

Do you have corals? if not hypo the main display by bringing the salinity down over the next few days to 1.010 make sure you have good accurate refractometer , hydrometers dont work well if you doing this, during this time feed less but test all water params esp ammonia and nitrite and ph , keep temp constant no fluctuations, you need to continue with the hypo sitting at 1.010 for 8 weeks and you need to check the sg daily it must not be allowed to go above 1.010 and not below 1.008 or you will not succeed and will likely either still have the disease or kill the remaining fish.

Also when you start raising salinity only do it 1 point per day eg.1.010-1.011 not more you can drop it faster but do not raise it fast.

More details about your system could allow better advise and pictures help even more

20. Keanan

Hi @Achilles, space is the biggest issue for me. So the bucket method wont really work for me @RiaanP.

My tank is +- 450L.
    My no3 is at 20-25ppm(been doing WC's and feeding less to get it down)
    I will do some tests now with what I have.
    My ph is normally 8.2
    I have a Kh problem though. Its always low(think its from all the R.O to ups) Last I checked it was 7.
    Last I checked for ammonia it was undetectable.
    My temp is always 28/29c sometimes higher. Only time it will drop is when I do a WC, it then drops by 2c

Yes I have corals in my tank so wont be able do to hypo in there.
    I have one of these cheap hydrometers. Dont know how accurate it is.
    [​IMG]

I was told to do a 5 day Myxazin course just in case its brook, then quarantine in cupramine for WS. @RiaanP @magman, what do you guys say?

What other details do you need? Will get pics and test the water ASAP and get back.
    I got 100l water from two oceans today to do a WC. Should I do it now or shoud I wait till tomorrow when I catch the fish and move them to QT?

21. Braco

Braco

I am just asking shouldn't you first determine what is the cause of the fish dying off one by one...water parameters..Ph..kH...Mag..Calc..DkH..Alk..Salinity..Gravity...Temp...ect..maybe it's not the fish thats sick or diseased but your water parameters is not correct...again i am just asking...??Forgive me for the insane questions...

Recent Posts