What size pump for the skimmer

Reaction score
Hi all, am busy setting up the 4ft tank I got as a gift and two nights ago the pump on the protein skimmer gave the ghost, the pump was a astro rated at 1800 l/h gat a hailea pump from dorry pets at an excelent price rated 1750 l/h connected it and as noisey as hell, thinking the pump is to strong for the skimmer. On the lid of the skimmer stands Queen and on the bottom of the skimmer stands turbo skimmer what do you guys recomend (pump wise and l/h) The skimmer looks like the pic taken of the net

queen_turbo.jpg

Not being funny, but you need to throw that skimmer as far away as you can, they really are not good enough. Save up a bit and buy a better skimmer, you won't regret it, a skimmer is one of the vital components in a reef tank.

I would recommend one of the Reeftek or Reef Octopus skimmers, they seem to be about the best value for money at the moment and work like beasts, you could also look at the new Aquamedic Blue skimmers, although I'm not sure what their prices are like.

Yes definitely, the skimmer that Singularity posted will outperform the Jebo 1000x, it'll be like a mouse compared to a lion, and for only R500 you can't go wrong, there's one in the For Sale section, perhaps Singularity could help with a link to the thread ;)

You need a pump approx 1800lph with a decent head rating to get the best out of that skimmer. That reef octo skimmer for R500 is a fairly good deal though as I'm pretty sure it would come with a needle wheel pump. It would look a lot neater hanging on a nano as well.

Back
Top Bottom