What size powerheads do I need for my tank?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by rocco1234, 25 Jun 2012.

1. rocco1234

rocco1234

Hi all,

I recenly added my first 2 fish (clowns) to my cycled tank. I am not sure though if they are too strong as it seems my fish struggle to cope with the strong current as the fish stay in one spot of the tank constantly.

The tank size is 1000(L) x 820 (H) x 480 (W). I currently have 2 sunsuns on each side of the tank at a rate of 12000 l/h. Its a double head so Im not sure if its 12000 per head or 12000 in total . Is this too strong?

I know these are not the best powerheads and I am planning to get new ones. But I need to know first what flow rate would be best suited for the tank. I will eventually have corals as well.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you have enough rock in the tank they should be able to find some places to escape from the high flow. But 24000LPH in a 1m tank is pretty high as those pumps push out a lot of water in one direction.

4. 3dd

3dd

Hi

I have 12000 lph flow in a 110L nano cube currently, my clowns love it. The stay in one spot mostly but every now and then they take a ride on the flow from the pump.

Mine sleeps in one of the corners at night where the flow is at it's min, and then in the morning they are back to their usual spot.

They been like this for more than a month already and I can't see any issues, they actual seem to like it.

5. rocco1234

rocco1234 Thread Starter

There are a lot of rocks with hiding caves in my tank, but they dont seem to go in there. It always seems like they are struggling to keep up. Maybe they will eventually hide between the rocks as they get to know the tank.

I will switch off the one powerhead and see how it goes.

Recent Posts