What should i put in my sump and do i have the right equipment?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Lemar, 20 Aug 2008.

1. Lemar

Lemar

Ok so, i have my tank, i have my sump. i have water in my tank (freshwater, but just testing the waters, as my previous attemp resulted in 500litres of water on our wooden floors within a 2 minutes)

Now i am busy locating and buying all the equipment.
    First question: I am looking at the following equipment (does it seem ok?)

Tank specs: 1600mm(L)X700mm(H)X450mm(W) 470l and a 100l sump
    My idea is to keep fish and sps

Real Ocean Sea Salt 4X6.3kg (757l)
    Resun Wave Maker-15000
    Real inc 1800mm, 3X150W MH,2X54W T5's
    2XOcean Runner 3500 pumps
    Deltec R/O Unit
    Reef Octupus/reeftek refractometer
    Protein Skimmer (Reef octopus DNW150 Recirculating)
    Live rock - how much?
    crushed coral/sand - how much?

What else do I need?

i am very new to this, have been reading posts/threads every night for the last 3 weeks, but i still feel as if I don't know anything.

Question 2 - What types of filter medium must I put in my sump? I bought bio-balls the other day at the lps and now I've read that it a nono. after spending 300 bucks on it? Please help!!

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. moz

moz

The Basics.

First compartment - Skimmer
    Second Compartment - DSB (min 75mm Sand)
    Third Compartment - Return

4. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

I'm sorry... DSB? I am VERY NEW to this hobby

5. moz

moz

viper357 and Rory like this.
  6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

nice size tank there.. wider would give you more options though... nice equipment list ..

7. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Thanx for the info moz

8. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

initially we built the tank based on a stand we had (stupid choice) instead we chucked the stand and build a new one. see my gallery

Any other equipment i need? And on my current list of equipment, is there any way i can save some R's? other brands/choices that may work out cheaper?

9. moz

moz

The Tank will work with the width, mine is also only 450mm wide, although placing your rock to take advantage of the height is a challenge.

The only possible other piece of equipment that comes to mind is a chiller. You might not need it, if you have good ventilation around your lights and the room you are keeping the tank in is cool. Chiller are expensive!:(

If you are planing on keeping SPS you might want to look at a few power heads, not sure the Resun Wave Maker will provide enough flow for your tank.

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Lemar. I wouldnt advise you or any newbie to start of with SPS. Rather try out softies and LPS (These ae much hardy) until you get the hang of it.
    Should you still wish to start of with SPS,please ask as many questions as you want and read as much as you can on how to allow SPS to thrive in a system befor purchasing any :)

11. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Ok thanks mekaeel, i will start off with softies and lps... will hopefully post pictures soon

12. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

The room is 100sqr's, well ventilate (open ceilings) so for now i really hope a chiller won't be necesarry
    Will the wave maker provide sufficient flow for lps and softies?

13. OCELLARIS

OCELLARIS

hi moz

wouldnt it be better to have your skimmer set in your third compartment?
    reason i say so is that ur DSB needs to live and feed of the waste
    that the DT has and by having the skimmer first then most of the
    food source for the bacteria is skimmed away
    but by having the skimmer last then the bacteria has a feeding chance and your skimmer can skim what ever leftover waste there is :)

14. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Hey Ocel, I think one problem with adding the simmer in the last compartment is that you skim away allot of the live food produced for your tank in the DSB...

I compromised by placing my skimmer feed pump over the middle of my second DSB. This way the tank gets skimmed nicely while the DSB gets fed and the tank in turn fed by the DSB...
    I suppoe not all skimmers can do this though. Mine is a DIY with a long feed tube in...

15. shrimp

shrimp

I would try and achieve a DSB of around 100mm - 120mm, place a ball of chaeto (marcoalgae) on top (helps with excess nutrients ... remember that macroalgae needs light to grow so install on light (think 6400k energysaver works quite well) ... obviously heaters (get yourself 2 heaters, 1 as backup should the 1st one fail) ... perhaps in time an auto topup, but not crucial as you can/must monitor it manually as water levels drop due to evaporation ... looks good, enjoy

16. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Ok, so for the DSB can I use playsand from reggies/toys-r-us? Sorry for the stupid question, what exactly is macroalgae? do i just ask for it at the lps?
    Thanks for all the advice guys

17. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi lemar,

for my 2c worth, an auto-topup is essential, not a luxary, several reasons for this .....
    I have a tank of similar dimensions, and i get around 7 to 9 L of evaporation a day !
    now if your setup is like mine, that gives you a max of 2 to 3 days before there is no flow through your sump and your return pump burns out.
    with a 100L sump a loss of 7L will result in a significant drop in your water level on a daily basis .... this will adversly affect the performance of your skimmer, and "running it in" will be frustrating to impossible...

While you are in the design phase of your project, i would seriously reccommend building yourself a custom resivour (mine is 50L) and setup an auto topup system .... you can buy one for around R500 ish or make yourself one for less than R100, it really is not rocket science and will make your hobby more enjoyable by reducing admin!!!

18. OCELLARIS

OCELLARIS

hi lappiesreef, good point,by live food the DSB produces, tell me are these food needed
    for your corals and invert or fish too ?

19. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Hey Lemar, jip you can use playsand. Just wash it really well...
    Usually you can get macroalgae from fellow refeerers... Macroalage is basically large forms of algae, basically sea water plants.. Mostly Chaeto and caulerpa is used. Chaeto is the prefered one since it doesn't go sexual..

20. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Hey Ocel, mostly for your corals since it is mostly microscopic, but these also influence the down stream food chains that will result in bigger organisms in your tank for the fish directly..

21. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi guys - Moz - the DSB HAS to be a minimum of 100mm to 120mm to be an effective filtration medium.

Also - I agree with Moz - you would require AT LEAST 2 x ReSun 15000 WaveMakers and perhaps on or two SEIO's..... SPS requires a HUGE HUGE amount of random, chaotic, turbulent water flow in the tank!

Recent Posts