What should I NOT buy?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Meneer, 18 Mar 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

Hi - I will be filling up my tank with RO water soon (planning to keep Live rocks with Mushrooms, softies, a few fish and inverts etc...) ... don't know what the abbreviation for a tank like that is... :( Not FO - nor FOWLR

1) - Salt - As money is object, I can not afford one of the TOP brands, but in the cheaper range... which salt should I avoid?

2) What test kits is needed for the cycling period.

3) On a 1.2m X 450x450, how many lights and what color will I need? (T8, 12 or 5)

Thanx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

1) Not sure on salts as I live by the Sea :yeahdude: ,but I think generally Rea Sea salt is not too pricey and a good brand.

2) If you can get your water tested at the LFS for the cycling period cause you are going to need to test Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates the first 2 you wont really ever test for again once your tank is good and going so its a waste to spend the R150 odd rand on a test kit. Obviously there are test kits u will need to test in the long term so focus on these rather as they make more sense.

3) T5's will be fine for that kind of setup, 4x 54w will be more than ample for soft corals...2x 10k, 1xblue and 1xactinic or if u gonna spend the cash 1xaquapink :)

Last edited: 18 Mar 2011
  4. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Redsea is ok and quite cheap..

Test Kits. Ammonia,Nitrate,nitrite for beggining

4x 54 watts should be good for what you want to keep..

You can say that you will be keeping a Full Reef setup..

(i prolly could have just answerd WHAT KUNHARDT SAID) :)

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

sera salt is also cheap. I would suggest using a basic marine salt to cycle then when you start doing water changes use a reef salt

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

Im gonna try this new salt, R450 a bucket lol but I wouldnt recommend using it as yet because I dont know if its any good..

7. IMarine

IMarine

Hi Meneer a reef salt is the way to go so that your levels of kh,ph,cal,mag will be correct,what you need to get is a kh,ph,cal,nitrate,nitrite,ammonia test kit and a salinty meter,then you all good to go and before i forget pls use ro water and not tap water pls

8. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Meneer.... Dude , aquarium water is free an full of natural elements.... And dnt believe the rumours bout high phosphates, in this game its every man for himself, I use only 2 oceans water an u personally seen my tank... Proof is in the pudding here lol.... An bout the test kits, dnt get any, test 1 a month at Lfs, an ya T5 is the way to go, 2 units like I have an u on ur way, cheap , simple an successfull

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Tremayn

Tremayn

Cant argue with free water :whistling: .. I still dont have a test kit lol and T5's are defiantly the way forward, like 4 or 6 t5's for softies is nice

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

Reason I suggested using a basic salt is that when you are cycling the tank there will be nothing that will use the elements. Then he will start doing water changes before adding livestock so if he uses reef salt for the water changes, that will be adding minerals to the water and then he will start adding livestock and corals.. MAkes sense? Just a thought I had

11. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Photos don't lie lol

[​IMG]

12. crispin

crispin

personally id advise getting test kits an hour after you by the glass for ypou tank. Flying blind by trying to save money on not testing or only testing occasionally at a lfs is very poor advice to a beginner i think. The more you know about your cycles and whats actually happening in a tank, especially when its first started the better for the long term success of a tank.

13. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@crispin , you got a point there , but I dnt
    Think meneer is 100% beginner, think he did this before but just making sure of certain facts as time changed since he last had a tank

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. crispin

crispin

justplaying, it took me three goes to understand your sentace above as you use mxit speak, so i added a few letters and words so that other people will also be able to follow what you meant, hope you dont mind:p (yes mike the irony of me correcting grama and spelling is NOT lost on me:lol:)

there are many ways to cut costs in marine keeping and very often we see very inovative DIY systems and methods of doing so. However very often information is key and knowing whats happening in a tank only comes about by regular and quality test kits that are still in their expiry dates. Often we see questions on masa of something going wrong and the first thing that is asked is for a complete set of water parameters so that experienced reefers can detirmine what might be happening with the water quality. Often the more experienced the reefer the more often they test.

15. Tremayn

Tremayn

meneer used to keep tanks back in the day I believe.. Bet he is the kind of guy who doesnt need a test kit to see that something is wrong.. like tuning a guitar by ear :p

16. crispin

crispin

wow that good? better than any world reefer ive ever seen then. yes one can use environmental indicators such as algae or cyano as an INDICATION that something is out of kilter but ive never met (and ive met a few) an experienced reefer that doesnt need a test kit. Its a little like saying you dont need to measure the salt of a tank, just taste it. but hey, perhaps thats why he's a meneer :)

17. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Thanx guys...

What is meant by "basic salt"?

@Tremayn - yes - a lot has changed since the old days I had my marines.
    NO RO water, and a airstone skimmer... BUT.. how did you know I play the guitar? :whistling:

Next thing you guys are gonna want me to lose faith in my SG meter that I paid R180 for 15 years ago!!!!!! :eek:

[​IMG]

18. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

hopefully it works better than the new ones....:whistling:
    go refracto!!!!:slayer:

19. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

What should I NOT buy?... that's a new approach too

20. Tremayn

Tremayn

haha I didnt know you play guitar, I play thats why I said that :)

21. Tremayn

Tremayn

Basic salt is the cheaper salt type. Like sea chem has marine salt and reef salt. Sera has basic salt and reef salt. Reef salt is more expensive because of the trace elements..

Recent Posts