What should I keep?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by gaboon, 10 Dec 2009.

1. gaboon

gaboon

As some know, my surviving fish are at my LFS and are now ready to go back into my tank.

Naso Tang
    Blue Hippo Tang (Regal tang with yellow belly)
    Yellow Tang

While they are at the LFS I thought it would be a good time to decide if the Hippo tang is a good idea in the long run, my tank is 1200 x 800 x 600, he's about 10cm in length.

I was maybe planning on swapping for a smaller yellow tang and then introduce the 2 at the same time?

Also, how rare are the yellow bellies?

What are your thoughts?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

gaboon not sure about the rarity of yellow bellies , I also have one but the Naso might get bit big in my opinion

4. magman

magman

Gaboon, two YT's wont fight, I got one adult, introduced a baby (real cute like a puppy, R5 coin size) and the adult flexed his fins for a minute, then were mates following each other. The tank will be small in most peoples opinions, they are being kept though in much smaller tanks anyway.

5. Annoying

Annoying

Yellow belly tangs are very rare and and when they are available they're baught in a instance. I've only heard of Lanzo who sell's yellow bellies.

6. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Not Strictly true ..... yellow bellies are rare in the international trade, but are if memory serves me correct, the indian ocean variety, and Unusually in SA we get a huge number of these due in most part to the popularity and ease of importing from kenya..... so if you were to post on the international forums they would be impresed though. Also extremely difficult to tell the two species apart when they are juviniles....

i would personally watch this very crefully ....... it could go either way, if the larger one shows agression ..... sump it for a week and then re-introduce ...

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I would keep all. It is an excuse for a bigger tank later.:whistling: Wrong thinking, on that one, :nono: but i agree with Frans, the naso is the one not suited. He will get tooo big for the 4ft.

8. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Oh cr*p, thats my favourite fish. He's a really chilled, slow-swimming fish though will definitely have to think about a bigger tank, but that is a long time away.

Do yellow bellys/regals get more aggro with age/size?

Thanks for the input!

9. FransSny

FransSny

Gaboon, mine seems to have times when it is agressive (must be a female) but doesnt normally bother the other inmates

10. Pads

Pads

True, your Naso is pretty awesome. I've been checking on it weekly in your absence. Tough choice mate. The combination of the three is really cool but maybe its worth selling the large Naso and getting a small one again.

Recent Posts